1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Google Indexing my pages which are blocked by robots.txt

Hi there,

Google is indexing my pages which are blocked by robots.txt. I don't want google to index those pages so I have blocked them already.

Does anyone have idea about how can I remove them from google? Because lots of irrelevant and unoptimised pages can bring my keyword ranking down and also they are not serving any value to users.

Any idea how to remove them?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by james99
    Google is indexing my pages which are blocked by robots.txt. I don't want google to index those pages so I have blocked them already.
    That is because you are doing it wrong.

Robots.txt was never designed to stop indexing of pages from search engines. It was designed to stop bots from crawling pages, but not indexing pages, there is a difference. This is a miss conception that a lot of folks fall victim to.

Use either robots meta tag or x-robots header tags to stop indexing by search engines. You also have to remove the block in robots.txt so Google can crawl the page to recognize the no index directives. Then sit back and wait for Google to crawl the pages again.

What you have to understand is that if any of your pages or any page on the internet has a link to a page that you do not want indexed, Google when it sees that link will crawl that page, and if you don't use a no index directive on the page using either of the methods I mentioned above the page gets indexed.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 7th, 2018 at 06:57 PM.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !