1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Index Issue- Wrong page is indexing for a specific keyword phrase on my site

*For privacy reasons, I have changed out the keyword phrases with an example phrase.*

Issue: When you search for the keyword phrase "New Camaro Car," the page for "New Mustang Car" appears in the results instead of "New Camaro Car."

Page #1-
    Page Title: New Camaro Car
    URL: /new-camaro-car
    H1: New Camaro Car
    Page Content: Exact Phrase of "New Camaro Car" is used twice.
    Search Result Ranking for "New Camaro Car" : not-indexing (for this search)

Page #2-
    Title: New Mustang Car
    URL: /new-mustang-car
    H1: New Mustang Car
    Page Content: Exact Phrase is used twice for "New Mustang Car." But zero times for "New Camaro Car"
    Search Result Ranking for "New Camaro Car": #1
    Search Result Ranking for "New Mustang Car": #9

Why is my "New Mustang Car" page indexing for the "New Camaro Car" search instead of my "New Camaro Car" page?

Notes:
    The "New Camaro Car" page is indexed, and does appear on Google for different searches.
    There are no Google Penalties, and no duplicate content issues.
    When you do an exact quote search; "New Camaro Car," the "New Mustang Car" page is still appearing at #1 result, even though the phrase is not used once on the page. (It is the only webpage on Google that comes up without having the exact quote on the page)

On Bing everything works and both are appearing in the top 5 for their desired keyword phrases.

...Any ideas of why this could be happening, would greatly appreciate it! Been trying to fix this issue for weeks, with no success. Thanks, Michael.
    Last edited by michael_123; Jun 6th, 2016 at 02:01 PM.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Simple answer could be links.

Google use pages that link to a page to also determine which page fits the query best. If the calling pages are about camero cars then it is more than possible the other page could rank higher.
    I would however also look at your internal linking structure, to see if the problem is internal and not external.

There used to be a big problem with google that several pages from the same site would appear in SERPS, after many promises and updates it finally seems that in most cases now only 1 page per domain will be listed so if the wrong page (to you) fits the query and carries a lot of page rank then it is also possible to out rank the other.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks Chedders!

I have a moz.com account, and I have checked the internal links to the website, and can check again. I believe the "mustang page"
    had 3 links to it vs. 0 links to the "camaro page". The anchor tags, seemed accurate and not misleading, as well as the content on the pages.

Side note: I did a search for "Camaro Car" and the page for "New Mustang Car" page still came up.
    The only tie to "camaro" on the page are the links in the header drop down menu.

Important note that could tie to camaro:
    This website was migrated from another website. The old website had "camaro" as part of the domain name. It changed from "coolcamaro.com" to "coolautomobiles.com"
    Every page on coolcamaro.com has been 301 redirected to the coolautomobiles.com equivalent page. And actually, coolcamaro.com did not have a mustang page, but it did have the mustang page linked from it's header drop down menu.

If anyone else has any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
    -Thanks, Michael.