1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google Image - Indexing and Rankings

Hi guys, this is my first posting.

I always confused with how google ranked the images, well I read everywhere that it is based on the authenticy of the image itself, alt title, file name and exif data.

But how really to index the image on google ?
    I tried to fetch the url but it didn't work out well,
    I tried to submit the URL to social bookmarking sites also doesn't help much.

Anyone have an idea ?

Would be glad if there's an answers!

Thank u
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Authenticity of the image is not important.(how would google know?)
    Exif data is not used (unless things have changed) and only applies to jpegs.
    Alt text does matter
    Filename has some bearing

You also have the image Title which is believed to help.
    You have also missed the text close to the image that helps.
    Text within links to the page helps to give meaning.

Then you have the page that the image is shown on, if that page has a lot of links to it then the page itself could be considered important which can boost the image. If people hotlink the image again this can help.
    Images though do tend to rank slower than web pages, for web pages I tend to wait 6 weeks from when I change things to get the full effect of the change, images you can at least double that.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Authenticity of the image is not important.(how would google know?)
    Google knows, go to https://images.google.com/ and drop a well known image. Google will tell you what it is with amazing accuracy
  7. Dinosaur

Not exactly the same thing. All google is doing is looking for visually simular images, even if it can identify the image does not mean it will rank highly for keywords when searching.
    Its using pattern recognition and where else it has seen the image, So for example if I drag your avatar onto that page then I find a site about you as you have used the same image there. However if I search for bob digital marketing the image is nowhere to be found. Even if I search for your name in full that image is not shown. I have to add the words SEO on end before it appears.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Actually Chedders,

Google reads the meta data embedded in the image. This info reveals a lot about the image.

Metadata Extraction Tool - Introduction

Not exactly sure how this will affect SEO, but it can reveal copyright infringement in some cases. So Google can in some instances determine if the image / file is yours or not. Remember Google can now remove watermarks from pictures, so it seems logical to assume Google uses it to determine who owns the picture.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 6th, 2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: addendum
  11. Dinosaur

OK a little while ago I did a series of tests embedding information into images to test if google did extract EXIF data, every test failed. Meta data is slightly different and is common in things like MP3's but in images it is most common as EXIF data which can contain copyright information and other details such as camera F stop and even geo location and date and time the image was taken. What I did find though was alt text, image title, filename all returned the image within google image search when searching, no text I inserted into the the EXIF data could be found. I also created some links with anchor text to the page which also returned the image in question. Plus the H1 tag which was next to the image proved fruitful.

To be honest I was quite disappointed at the time as I was convinced google would read it, however EXIF data can be altered so the fact someone can alter the copyright information makes it unusable as a source of ownership which I guess could be the reason google decided not to use it.

To be fair I ran these tests a couple of years ago now so things could have changed, I somehow doubt it though as it was very easy to read back then so I cannot think of a good reason why google would start now.
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yeah,, they don't use it for ranking purposes, but it's a sure bet they use it for something I would think. Also we know Google keeps quiet about some things it's working on...

Things may have changed, which I doubt, but I am in agreement with you on no practical value for SEO as of yet...