Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Post Getting a Featured Snippet in Google

DISCLAIMER: I'm an utter noob when it comes to this stuff.

Our firm has been trying to figure out how to crack into Google's featured snippets. As part of an experiment, we took a relatively low volume search term ("find a job after divorce") and tried to write an article that would grab the snippet for it. We were using this article for reference on how: searchengineland.com/get-featured-snippets-site-224959

It's now been two weeks and not only do we not have the snippet, we also haven't seen it appear in search period. In fact, if you search for the keyword along with our location (north carolina), you'll see other articles of ours at the top, but not the specific article we were tagging for.

Here is a link to our article: rosen.com/divorce/find-job-after-divorce/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by dzine; Aug 1st, 2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: URLs deflated in advance, then approved
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hey mate, two weeks is really not long enough to wait. It generally takes 4 to 6 weeks for starred reviews to show up in the serps as per my experience.

Be patient give it some more time. You could have made your changes just after the last crawl, then you would have to wait till next crawl for Google to even see the changes.
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hey Charmac, welcome to the forums!

I would remove these 2 lines of code:
    <meta name="description" content="On top of the stress of your family breaking up, you have to find a job. How do you start? Where do you go? To find a job in today's world is...">
    <meta name="keywords" content="jobs, divorce, north carolina, find a job, getting work after being unemployed, get a job after divorce" />

Description: With that much content you could rank for any number of different terms, I want Google to create the snippet that most closely matches the query
    Keywords: No longer used by search engines as a ranking signal, it looks like keyword stuffing

Good luck!
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the response all. I'll give it some time to see if anything appears. Just out of curiosity, does keyword stuffing create an adverse effect? Or just less than optimal effects for a specific keyword?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by charmac2nd
    ..Just out of curiosity, does keyword stuffing create an adverse effect? Or just less than optimal effects for a specific keyword?
    Well look at it this way, when all the algo's run their course with your site, then the software says, hey keyword stuffing going on here, mmmm maybe this is a lesser quality site, your guess is as good as mine about this, but I bet it's lurking in the background when Google ranks your site.

Besides, generally it doesn't read well when compared with good copy, and to most kind of spammy, so the UX isn't so good and ctr suffers.

I can think of lots of reasons to not keyword stuff, but I can't give you one reason to do it....
  11. No Profile Picture

Hey,
    here are a few more factors Google takes into consideration while choosing the featured snippet: authority of the domain and ranking of the page. It usually chooses one of the five best results on SERP, maybe 10. So if your ranking is not so good in general, it’s much harder to get in the featured snippet.
    Every important information - answer to the query - should be very clear and if possible, on the beginning of the article. The most important are keywords. You have it in title and H1, but that is not enough. Include them in the content, in the h2 and the first step, at least. Google is searching for the words in the text, too. In the featured snippet result Google picks peace of the content with the searched words, so those keywords got bolded. No need to use the exact phrase, just try to use those words more.
    A meta description is not a ranking factor. If you want it to be shown in SERPs, you need to include the most important keywords in the description. Otherwise, Google will generate another description from the content which matches with the searched query more.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks for chiming in Barbora!

We've had our page show up as the top result on Google search for "how to find a job after divorce", but no snippet. I've made the following changes so far:

-Added instances of the keyword phrase to the above the fold content.
    -Made our "answer" to the question more succinct by writing specific sentences and shortening the text for each step.
    -Added the keyword phrase to our h2.

Our domain is already high ranking and comes up as the first result for many relevant searches, but we literally have no snippets that I'm aware of. The writing style of our articles is very lengthy, which I imagine hasn't been helpful (usually takes us several paragraphs to explain an answer). If anyone has any other suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated, but I'll keep tweaking until we get it. Thanks!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

We've had our page show up as the top result on Google search for "how to find a job after divorce", but no snippet. I've made the following changes so far:
    I took another look at your site, then I also examined the site referenced in the article from SearchEngineLand.

You have not implemented your rich snippets correctly.

Take this page What is a RFP, where to find RFPs, and are RFPs relevant? run it thru the Google Rich Snippet Tool.

Notice how they have use the Queston property. You have not actually put anything on your site, Rich Snippet Wise to qualify for a mention.
    You should duplicate the usage of Question
    In your case, substitute "How to find a job after divorce" for the name and description fields, then fill in the suggested answer and accepted answer with what you would like to have show. Not saying it will, but that is how you would be a contender for it. Oh, that page in the article has "3" question properties.
    Lets see how you do in another 3 weeks, ok Mate ?
  17. No Profile Picture

Thanks KnowOne, I'll give that a go.

Additionally, it appears that the page (just this specific one) has now disappeared from the search engines - I tried resubmitting it through Google's webmaster tool yesterday after making the changes. Is this the reason it has been un-indexed and how can I correct this?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I checked your site again, you have failed to implement the rich snippet properly...

you forgot to add the "name" and "description" fields. These two fields are basically the search term you are wanting to rank for the rich snippet. Without it you will not have a qualifying question to vie for that coveted spot with the rich snippet.

Google may have done something, but I would say, you've not implemented the rich snippets correctly and this could in fact cause you problems with Google.

I would say given the following....
    You implemented a rich snippet incorrectly in the last 48 hours...
    Your page has disappeared from search as you say.

Hmmmm.... sounds like it could be due to the improper use and application of the rich snippet... leaving out the name and description fields, could be seen as spamming .... but that is just a guess... Fix the rich snippet first, then check again.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

BTW the page .... rosen.com/divorce/find-job-after-divorce/ has not been de-index, it has fallen a few pages....
    Also something else I noticed, you have some https issues going on as well, your site is showing "Not Fully Secure" on https in the address bar. When you visit the page, you see it.
  23. No Profile Picture

Hey mate, two weeks is really not long enough to wait. It generally takes 4 to 6 weeks for starred reviews to show up in the serps
  25. No Profile Picture

Hey all, thanks for the input,

I've updated the article to include a name tag. I cannot seem to find a way to add an author tag without specifically writing the name of the author somewhere in the article, even though it is included in the metadata. It's odd that it would go from being the first result to falling to page 4, especially seeing as I had yet to add the markup at that point - I simply changed around the wording of some paragraphs and shrank the list content so that it was more succinct.

I'm told by a senior employee with my firm that because our page ranks so highly overall, we can usually see results within days once we submit them to be indexed, which has appeared to be the case so far. Would it be better for me to resubmit the page now that I have added markup in the hopes of it at least grabbing a snippet, or should I replace everything I removed in order to make it more snippet friendly in the hopes of it again claiming the top search result? I'm not sure how many times I can resubmit a page before Google gets angry.

Thanks!
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I checked again and you have badly snafu-ed the rich snippet...

Sorry mate, but do you ever check your work with the Google Rich Snippet Tool ????? If you did you would see you have undone all your previous work and only have a "name" field now... The rest is gone.

There is no question, no suggested answer, nothing...

Go to this web page.... >>>>> https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-too

Submit this url for testing.... >>>>> rosen.com/divorce/find-job-after-divorce/

This is currently how your snippet looks from the testing tool....

May I suggest you write down the snippet on paper or use notepad or ms word but create the snippet in its' entirety, then update the page with the snippet and then run it thru the snippet tool.

You may need someone to do this for you... sorry. You need to be methodical, and in no hurry to get this done. By that I mean, just site down. take your time, do the work, then check it... Rinse and repeat till you get it right. This is something you should be able to accomplish in about 15 minutes if you have your snippet ready for publishing.

The way you are doing things, I think it is possible with all the errors you are committing, Google may think you are spamming them.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Aug 21st, 2017 at 02:18 PM.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It's odd that it would go from being the first result to falling to page 4, especially seeing as I had yet to add the markup at that point - I simply changed around the wording of some paragraphs and shrank the list content so that it was more succinct.
    No it is not odd behavior, you changed the content and that change probably made the drop. You retargeted the page's keywords by changing the content.

This is just another reason we say, change "1" thing at a time, you go and start changing multiple things on a site and you will have no idea where to start looking to find the cause and effect when the changes result in a detrimental drop in rankings.

So now the question is did the adding of the incorrect rich snippet cause the drop, or was it the content change that caused the drop. I suggest you put the content back as it was before the change. Then either fix or remove the snippet, and wait about a week or two. I bet your rankings come back.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: