1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

getting around duplicate content

Hi everyone. I am new to the site so please be gentle.. I have a magento site that has just been designed. Most of my products come in
    up to 14 different colors, So if i work really hard on a individual product description and then have it on another 13 products with only the
    the color different will this not be good for my rankings in the search engines?? If so is there a way around this so all the colors can still
    show up.

Cheers Elbow
  3. Learning & Trying To Help

Hi Elbow,

I was going to suggest finding a way to implement a drop-down on the product page (or SKU) and list the colour options there, but after a quick search I found a 49 second YouTube video showing how to do it.

All you simply do is choose "Custom Options" on the bottom left, when editing the product page and "Create New Option" where you can set up a drop down.
    From there you can add in all your different options.

As far as I know, you can't change the images when a different option is selected (if that's what you wanted to do) but there may be a way around it.

I hope I've helped.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

color isn't going to make a difference..as far as seo goes. Just make a drop down with the different colors in the checkout section, don't try and make different pages for each color.
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Chazlington92
    Hi Elbow,

I was going to suggest finding a way to implement a drop-down on the product page (or SKU) and list the colour options there, but after a quick search I found a 49 second YouTube video showing how to do it.

All you simply do is choose "Custom Options" on the bottom left, when editing the product page and "Create New Option" where you can set up a drop down.
    From there you can add in all your different options.

As far as I know, you can't change the images when a different option is selected (if that's what you wanted to do) but there may be a way around it.

I hope I've helped.
    Completely agree with the drop down, it's the best from a user experience point of view.

There is an extrension to change whenever you select different attributes, Configurable Image Swticher - Magento Connect
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  9. No Profile Picture

Angry

Originally Posted by ThomasHarvey
    Completely agree with the drop down, it's the best from a user experience point of view.

There is an extrension to change whenever you select different attributes, Configurable Image Swticher - Magento Connect
    Hi, I thought of doing that way. The only problem is it seems that people are searching for specific colors and then decide which
    carpet they want in that color. In my descriptions I am trying to keep them to 150 words of fresh content but changing the colour
    name and number. It just seems to create a better customer experience and allows them to find there perfect product at the budget they
    want to spend but its not going to keep google etc happy.
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi All.. I think I have the answer, Is there such a extension that-- Customer picks a color of a product in the menu drop down box and then it brings up every product that matches the color. BUT..Is there any way that the product can show the color swatch from the chosen color as the main picture( this will change according to what color is chosen)??
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi!
    If you need a color swatch, there's a good option amasty.com/color-swatches-pro.html

I've also recently thought about duplicate content. I checked my site and found out that it has about 40 000 indexed pages in Google! That's too many! My site has only about 700-1000 pages! So I did some things to solve duplicate content issues according to this post: blog.amasty.com/an-extensive-guide-on-magento-duplicate-content/

Waiting for the index update.