1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Geotarget Locations

i had previously set the geotarget location to united states (in google webmaster tools). but apparently its a very broad niche, but my site is only ranking .com in first page but it is invisible in other countries (google country level domains i.e co.in,.fr etc) in top 10 pages. am loosing too much traffic. how to over come this issue.Does removing the geotarget location helps ? and after removing this does my previous global (google ncr) rankings will be same as before? This is a sort of event niche , no traffic for now.So ,After gaining google ctr during event does it ranks in every other country? If u have any experience regarding the geo targeting kindly comment below
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello and welcome!

Ok so - you've got a .com site and you've set your international targeting to the United States. And it's ranking well there but not in other countries. So it's not "invisible," it's just not ranking as well.

As far as I know, that's how international targeting works. It's basically telling Google "You might not know this because I'm a generic domain, but this is the country that I want to focus on and where people will be most interested in me." Here's a page that may be helpful: https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/62399?hl=en

Google says:

If your site has a generic top-level domain, such as .com or .org, you can help us determine which countries are most important to you. If your site has a country-coded top-level domain (such as .ie or .fr) it is already associated with a geographic region (in this example, Ireland or France). If you use a country-coded domain, you won't be able to specify a geographic location. You can specify a target country in the International Targeting report.
    If you are trying to target multiple regions at the same time, this may be helpful: https://support.google.com/webmaster...r/182192?hl=en

Furthermore, we have a neat little article about multilingual websites too: Choices in How to SEO a Multilingual Site - SEO Chat

I hope those help. It sounds like you need to determine what country or countries you want to target. Or whether you want to use international targeting at all - someone with more experience than I have can hopefully confirm this, but I don't think it's strictly necessary.