1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Geo Schema / Google business radius

Hi,

A site I look after moved locations about three months ago. It's in the suburbs of a city, it's 1# in every keyword I'm targetting within maybe a 1-2 mile radius of their location. But, in the 'city' which is approximately 3-4 miles away, their keywords range from 10th-30th in the SERPS.

Example location: "North Hykeham, Lincoln" ...

It's absolutely bossing in North Hykeham, but not in Lincoln...

Is this because Lincoln is too far away from where Google knows her premises is?

Luckily, her surrounding location is quite dense, so she gets a far amount of business due to her being the top site around this area, but traffic for Lincoln would probably multiple the traffic by 10x...

Any suggestions? Am I right in thinking the distance is the main factor here?

Edit: I have also been using "Lincoln" as a target keyword in her pages, not North Hykeham... Still no joy.
    Last edited by matt1966; Oct 22nd, 2017 at 05:59 PM.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Pure speculation here but on pages are that about Lincoln you could try adding the meta tags for geo coding.
    <meta name="geo.placename" content="your town" />
    <meta name="geo.position" content="lat,long" />
    <meta name="ICBM" content="lat,long" />

replace lat and long and your town as appropriate

When I was targeting other towns other than the business address I used to use these tags, now google state somewhere (cant find the page) they dont use these tags, however you could take the view it wont harm you either.

As for ranking for Lincoln, you say orders would be x10 so the flippant answer would be that its going to be 10 times harder to rank.
    However it is more than possible, you just need to focus on posting content that is relevant to Lincoln, just posting the town name a few times is often not enough, You need to post pages about that town to build a connection, the product / service almost needs to be secondary.
    Anything you can think of to get google thinking this set of pages is about Lincoln will help, customer reviews, Local news, local history, where to go, where to eat even look at bus timetables if its appropriate and you can find a good reason to include it.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Pure speculation here but on pages are that about Lincoln you could try adding the meta tags for geo coding.
    <meta name="geo.placename" content="your town" />
    <meta name="geo.position" content="lat,long" />
    <meta name="ICBM" content="lat,long" />

replace lat and long and your town as appropriate

I currently already have JSON long, lat etc to her current address. Do you mean changing it to Lincoln? Or adding the above too, if so, wouldn't it get confused?

Local news, local history, where to go, where to eat even look at bus timetables if its appropriate and you can find a good reason to include it.
    As we speak I'm writing a 4k word article on things to do in Lincoln! Glad I'm on the right track
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The Json schema is different, that google do use. I was only on about adding that to the Lincoln pages that are extra to the main site. It would be wise not to use the 2 on a single page though, that would either confus google or raise a red flag. When I used it I was not using schema on a address, it was more to indicate the page was about a town.

Of course it should go without saying that google do say geocoding pages to target a city other than your bricks and mortar address is against guidelines. However if you have a genuine reason to include content from a nearby town then its a risk I would take. Google3 describe them as doorway pages https://support.google.com/webmaster.../2721311?hl=en

Comments on this post

• matt1966 agrees : Thank you!
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare