1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Full Site SSL created noindex. Major decline in Google rankings

Talk about bad timing. Finally bit the bullet and decided to make my full site secure at the end of July. Not a big deal as in my shopping cart all I have to do is check a box to do it. Well apparently my cart decided to put "noindex" on all my pages...some 15,000 of them! Apparently this is a known issue within CS-cart so they updated it in newer versions. To make matters worse this all took place around the first of August when (from what I understand) an update occurred. And to top things off I was out of town for more than a week when all this took place (I have never been away from my business that long in my life).

I was trying to figure things out remotely but wasn't sure what the problem was. The switch to secure, the update, somehting I didn't even know about. Once I finally sorted out the noindex issue I was able to modify the code within the cart to fix it. Then recreate/submit the new sitemap. But it was too late. 3 months later and I have still yet to recover. Luckily Bing still likes my site so I have some money coming in. But not enough to pay the bills. I am still on the bottom of page one or top of page 2 for Google but that pretty much leads to no sales compared to before.

My main competitor clicks have skyrocketed since I got bumped. We were both at about 2000 clicks each on August 1st. I was at a low of about 200 but am up to about 1000 now...but my main competitor is up to 52,000 now! How the heck did they get such a huge jump in 3 months? I mean that's pretty crazy going from 2000 to 52,000 in a few months. I'm sure my site dropping down helped a bit since they were doing about the same as me before. This competitor does seem to have a circle of several similar sites that link to each other. See graph (me in red).

I should note that my site is about 15 years old and has ranked VERY HIGH for most searches with the word "decal" or "sticker" and a main keyword before it (if it is something I sell obviously). I was lucky enough to be right in the mix with eBay/Amazon/Etsy on the first page before this fiasco. I know the basics of SEO as I read about it all the time so I make sure my onsite stuff is as good as I can make it but I'm sure there is always room for improvement. Any input would be appreciated.

3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by IsItFast
    My main competitor clicks have skyrocketed since I got bumped. We were both at about 2000 clicks each on August 1st. I was at a low of about 200 but am up to about 1000 now...but my main competitor is up to 52,000 now! How the heck did they get such a huge jump in 3 months? I mean that's pretty crazy going from 2000 to 52,000 in a few months.
    Congratulations sounds like you're definitely recovering but still have a ways to climb yet but don't give up.

It is interesting that you know your competitors clicks. Be that as it may, wanting to know what your competition is doing is good. The depth of information you want to know is quite a different matter. You need to consider hiring this out to a qualified pro. These are not things that can be casually answered in a forum. There would be a substantial investment of time

There are some qualified professionals here that can help you, go look at the membership list.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 8th, 2018 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !