1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Are full page sliders good or bad for SEO

My website is very new and I am just learning SEO. My company is an IT services provider. I look at other sites with respect to a) whether
    I personally like them and b) whether they have adopted popular techniques and then pattern my site based on that. Also I look at it
    in terms of whether it makes sense for my industry, and also whether it is appealing visually.

When I first started I tried to make the main content be full page images with white text overlaying the content for headlines.
    Then I put several "pages" vertically below the first one. But I didn't like the way it looked at all - it seemed incoherent, although it
    seems to be a common technique these days - I guess the term is that it is used for "landing pages".

So I switched this to make it a three slide full page slider. I guess it looks good, but to me sliders seem gimmicky and distracting?
    Yet they seem to be popular - is there an SEO benefit or a benefit from the standpoint of users being engaged with it?

I am thinking of going back to neither a slider, nor a stacked set of full page images, and just have one home page, with one main
    image with content below it. Then put the other full page images on their own pages.

The other issue I have with this common technique of full page images with white text overlaying is that you don't initially see the content
    unless you scroll down. It seems to me that it makes more sense to have only images that are about half height (on desktop or tablet)
    and immediately visible content below it. The other problem with a full page image is that it contains a "learn more" button" and if they
    click that then they will never have gotten to the content below it. Does the search engine care if the image is full height and users
    have to scroll down. Are users just accustomed to scrolling down and I am wrong to think that it's important for the content to be
    immediately visible prior to scrolling?

I understand, I think, that google wants to see pages with lots of content (yoast tells me it wants 300 words or more). So it seems that
    just a headline with a link to learn more isn't good for SEO.

So, in short I am looking for a design that is both visually appealing to the user and good for SEO. To me, taking into account the fact
    that what I am selling is highly technical and complex, the full page slider or even just single full page image, while "jazzy" is not
    the right technique for a technology site.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Content above the fold is "important". Just having some full page images with no content above the fold is problematic. I avoid that situation on sites when I have control of them.

Long word content is easier to rank. The more words, the more content, the more ranking opportunities. Provided it is quality content, and not some keyword stuffed spam. Big difference between the two.

Now when you say you're not happy with your page designs, are you designing from scratch or using a CMS, like WordPress ?

Personally there is nothing wrong with using WP for site design. There are benefits to it, like ready made templates for just about any site / niche combination. Now it is common for themes to be 100% Responsive and can accommodate desktop, tablet, and mobile screens automatically. They adjust to what ever device the user is using. Makes your life easier in the long run.

Comments on this post

• ITServiceGroup agrees
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  5. No Profile Picture

thanks for your reply. I am using Wordpress with Elementor, and Elementor facilitates responsive design (but still takes work). It makes it relatively easy for someone like me (a programmer of business desktop applications), who has limited knowledge of web design and programming, be able to put together a reasonably good site. Based on your reply I looked up the term "above the fold" - I guess that shows that I am a newbie, lol. I found an article on "webvanta" ( I think I can't put URLS because I am a newbie?) that says that above the fold is different for different devices, and that different studies have shown different things. But I think the main takeaway I got from it is that "users do scroll". So on the basis of that I am removing the slider, and I am putting content on my main page below the full page image. Then moving the other content related to the other slider pages to separate pages - then I will be able to attach more content to the other pages related to the other slides - it seems to make more logical sense to me. The content is quality, I think - a lot of effort has gone into it.
  7. No Profile Picture

I have both Elementor and Divi. I have to say I prefer Divi and use the other much less.

You can create a slider that is not full width but contains an image on the left side and 50% text on the right side, or vice versa and swap them. This will allow for content above the fold. I have often used this tactic with good results.
    This way you can have as many slides as you want with text and rotate them.

Or you can use a row with a text module that is full width, and make the image be the background for the text module and just overlay the text content. Again it works well for seo.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  9. No Profile Picture

I started this website project about 2 years ago and then got busy and put it on hold (hence the 403 to hide it). At that time 2 years ago I tried Divi but I haven't used it since. I tried Elementor a few months ago and like it better - for me it is easier to use. I can see how Divi would be more powerful for someone who knows what they are doing. But maybe it's changed in the past two years?

Regarding the slider. After I read your reply and then found the article on "Webvanta" I decided it would be OK to have full height images. And I decided that the slider was not coherent - I think this because each slider topic was totally different - and so should get its own detailed page content - so I separated them.

Regarding half text and half image - I tried that - but it was not rendering right on mobile and I don't think I am skilled enough to pull that off - maybe as I learn more.

So for the moment, I don't have any "detailed" content " above the fold. Instead I moved the "headline" type content to be an overlay over the image - I think that's what you are saying in the last paragraph? So I only have "headline content" above the fold - maybe that is good enough? I was using an elementor widget that put a "learn more" button below the headline content. But I got rid of that - it seems to me that it would cause people to click it before they read the main content below. So instead I put the learn more widget at the very bottom of the page (above the footer).

Thank you again for your detailed replies. Today is my first day in this forum and I am learning so much.
  11. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The term above the fold dates back to newspapers where the seller would fold the newspaper for display. Any headlines on the front page would be placed so it was still visible while the newspaper was folded as it what would attract the buyer to picking up the newspaper and buy it to read the article. The terminology has been transferred to web pages and rightly so, what is shown to the user without scrolling is considered the most important area of the page.
    Unfortunately this is where designers and SEO tend to fall out and you will find many examples around the web where designers have won the battle and this rule is broken.
    Over more recent years google have shifted to mobile first indexing so their primary index is how the website performs on a mobile device. So this area has shrunk and what you place in this area should be given some detailed thought.

Google have released a few papers which in their eyes what makes a good landing page and give examples of best in class, Here is a online version https://developers.google.com/web/fu...ux/principles/ that would make a good read for you.
    The first example I think fits what your trying to do and they give you the reasons why the one design is good and one that is bad for the user.

Comments on this post

• ITServiceGroup agrees : Thanks for the pointers
    IMHO
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the explanation on "above the fold". Thanks for the article also; I read the entire article and it's very helpful. The first example is good - and I have addressed that now (although I am struggling with elementor and mobile issues right now, but that's mostly because I am not very experienced with it).
  15. No Profile Picture

Chedders that article is what marketing is all about. How to influence people to click the buy button. Google explaining what it is all about.

Good share.

Comments on this post

• ITServiceGroup agrees : i agree