1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is Facebook sabotaging our SEO efforts?

Hello to all you guys,
    I tell my personal story about promoting my web magazine on FB. I know it's a bit long, but please read it until the end.
    Six months ago I started my web magazine focused on museums and exhibitions (inexhibit.com) I have worked in this field for 20 years and I was guessing it was time to make something out of my experience and to create a website on all that stuff. Dunno if it's good or bad but that's what I decided to do, time will give me the answer.
    Of course, just after starting up my new adventure I registered my site with all social media; FB, Twitter, G+, Pinterest and all the party mates.
    After six months, without paying to much attention to the matter, I had strangely good results with G+ (more than 60K followers), good with with FB (more than 1K "fiends" to my personal page and mediocre results on Twitter (less than 400 followers), The impact on my website visits was, al least, negligible; less that 1 out of 10 visits came from social networks (around 2,000 our of 25,000 per month in June)
    Then I looked at my FB "friends". You know FB doesn't allow to to ask friendship to a page, only to a personal profile. I guess this is stupid, but Mr. Zuckerberg guesses it's not and is he who runs the machine.
    But, hey, I have 1,3K friends, I asked ALL of them to like my page (which is the real reason I am on FB and I declare it on my profile) and in six months only 200 of them have actually followed the request I made by pushing that little button "invite your friends"? That sounds strange.
    I start sending them one by one a personal message asking to like my page. From 0 to 100 miles in a second!
    100 likes A WEEK. "Promote your page" (by paying FB) Go to hell! I've found the answer!
    After a couple weeks... a message from FB: "you are doing bad... if you don't stop sending messages to your friends, we will suspend this feature". WHAT? If I pay you FB you can spam forever my mates but if I send 20 messages a day asking them to do a plain like to my page you BAN me? What about that F...ing "reach a milestone" messages you drilled in my head for months?
    I suspect (and I have some clues on that) that the "like my page" request to my friends via the canonical FB system simply never actually reached them and when I started to use a creative (but not spamming, 20 a day over 1,3000 overall) way to "jump over" what FB was suggesting to me they simply "made me an offer I can't refuse": PAY. I am available to do that? NO., Why?
    FB doesn't contribute to my site so much. Of course, it gives the largest visits amount by far, if compared to ALL other social media.
    But it is still a minimal percentage of my site's pageviews.
    So why paying even a single dollar for that. Better to reserve it for the guys who technically work on my site, or a better camera or a terrific visit to Venice.
    Nevertheless this makes me uncomfortable. Should I go on maintaining my FB page or is it simply a waste of time (unless you pay for the service to mr. Z)? Is FB really driving an attention on my content, or is it a black hole swallowing resources from candid people? What's your idea and your suggestion?
    Last edited by Test-ok; Sep 15th, 2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: de-link, then approved