Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Experiencing a higher ranking volatility than usual

Hello. How are you?

In the last two months I've had some major changes that affected directly the positioning of my keywords:

#1 I've changed our domain to HTTPS;
    #2 Two new players joined the "war" for the keyword that I was rank 1 for the past year.

Since these changes, I've experiencing a huge amount of downs and ups to my keywords. And they are really freaking me out!

Yesterday I was rank 1 and today as I woke up and checked the reports my site was the 5th result. Five minutes ago I've checked again and now I am the 3rd result.

When I saw these competitors, I've started to work again the keyword doing the ordinary SEO job for ranking improvement: Link Building, re-writing Metatitles and Metadescriptions, etc.

Now, I can say to you that I have more backlinks to this keyword than I had in the whole last year! And they are links much more relevant!

Is Google updating their algorithm? Is there a way to prevent this volatility with my positioning? Should I change the strategy that I am using to improve my ranks?

Thanks!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I believe the switch from HTTP to https can make websites a bit shaky for a while. Also changing your Titles and so on would probably cause a bit of a jolt, whenever I change anything significant like that I expect odd results for the short term.

There was the update "Fred" in March which targetted thin sites and popups, then in Sept/Oct there was a bit of a shift, however, I haven't seen anyone really put there finger on what this is... (I've felt it a little)

When you say link building, it depends on what you mean really, I mean...

Now, I can say to you that I have more backlinks to this keyword than I had in the whole last year!

That doesn't mean that it's doing you good. Are they quality? Are the anchors spammy towards your main keyword?
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 14th, 2017 at 02:46 PM.
    Yorkshire tea will probably answer your question...
  5. No Profile Picture

Matt, thanks for your answer!

Will explain the topics you mentioned better:

There was the update "Fred" in March which targetted thin sites and popups, then in Sept/Oct there was a bit of a shift, however, I haven't seen anyone really put there finger on what this is... (I've felt it a little)
    My site is a little "thin" because it is an e-commerce, so I do not have many content on the pages. Just in some categories where I describe the products that can be found on the page. We now have push where visitors can sign for notifications. Should I remove this?

That doesn't mean that it's doing you good. Are they quality? Are the anchors spammy towards your main keyword?
    Well, my Linking Building is always on blogs where the posts are about the same topic as my e-commerce. I sell clothes for kids so mostly of the links are on mother's blogs. Example of the links that I build: there is a post where the author is talking about the best materials for babies. So on the text, there is a word "clothes for babies" with a link to my store.

I am really confused because I've found that the competitor that stole my #1 rank is just with the same keyword on "sidebars". So they have a huge amount of links with bad quality.

I really do not know what to do anymore.
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Firstly lets correct a couple of things I spotted in your question.
    Meta title is not the same as page title, altering the meta title will have no bearing on your ranking and infact meta title is ignored by all major search engines. Hopefully you mean page title and not meta title.
    As for meta description, its true google often use that to display as the snippet in search but again its not used in helping you rank. Tweaking this will not gain you positions but can help in clicks if your description is better than your competitors.

Your link building should be avoided really and could be seen as trying to manipulating your position. Almost all reputable sites now add on rel="nofollow" to the links so that will not help you in the slightest from a ranking point of view. Your train of thought really when posting about your site is to gain traffic and not rankings. When a site is evaluated a healthy backlink profile should be mostly nofollow which shows to google your intentions are more in the marketing of your site and not trying to manipulate search results. Marketing your site is perfectly fine and something you really should do but building links to give you a boost is a dangerous game and can and often does hold you back or worse case have a negative effect.

The last 10 years has seen major changes in how google determine who is top, reputation is 1 of them. a bad backlink profile is often the root cause of why sites perform badly and if your experiencing bouncing as you suggest that would to me start setting off alarm bells as google cant quite make up its mind if your a honest trustworthy site or not.
    However it is normal to see fluctuations in results when google are trying out new filters or algorithms, sometimes they put things back if they concider the results are not better for the user, other times they do a complete roll out, so its hard to say for sure that you will stabilize by not doing anything or not.
    Last edited by Chedders; Nov 16th, 2017 at 11:30 AM.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  9. No Profile Picture

Chedders, thanks for you answer! Will explain some points. Hope to read more from you!

Your linking building should be avoided really and could be seen as trying to manipulating your position. Almost all reputable sites now add on rel="nofollow" to the links so that will not help you in the slightest from a ranking point of view.
    Today I have 3,611 active links from 20 different domains. 1% is No Follow.

The niche that I work is "clothes for kids" and mostly of the links are in blogs created by moms. They access my e-commerce and if they find something useful they usually do a post about some products. For example, if one of the moms are talking about the "best materials for baby clothes" they write "clothes for babies" on their content and them add a link to my e-commerce. That's how I do.

I do not comment in others blogs, press sites and similar. Mostly because I do not be a spammer and also because I've read that No Follow links do not help on ranking. So for me it would be a waste of time and maybe I could destroy the reputation of my domain.

Marketing your site is perfectly fine and something you really should do but building links to give you a boost is a dangerous game and can and often does hold you back or worse case have a negative effect.
    Well, as said before I am an e-commerce and I really need to be at the top rankings for the keywords of my niche. How can I improve my rank without doing Linking Building? Do you have any tips for my case? My links are directly on content because I read too that links on sidebar do not have so much effect and that is a spammy action.

However it is normal to see fluctuations in results when google are trying out new filters or algorithms, sometimes they put things back if they concider the results are not better for the user, other times they do a complete roll out, so its hard to say for sure that you will stabilize by not doing anything or not.
    I've checked today and the ranks stabilized. But now I am the third result on a keyword that I was #1 since when I've started. That's really annoying.
  11. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Today I have 3,611 active links from 20 different domains. 1% is No Follow.
    that to me is a very unnatural backlink profile. If end users were generating the links then it would be 1% follow. You say creating no follow links is a waste of time, this to me indicates you have fallen into the trap of only going after follow links as you know that will aid your rankings. This gives you a very unnatural profile and you have moved into the black hat world.
    Only having links from 20 domains again is not good, that proves to google its you doing the backlinking and not end users, for 3.5k backlinks I would expect the number of domains to be much higher.

My thoughts are you need to get onto review type sites and gain a lot of no follow links from a lot of genuine sites, I dont mean just post to everywhere. Try and encourage your users to post for you. For example for 1 site I look after I include a thank you business card with places they are welcome to leave us a review. They are also active on social media and often post up competitions to win something. These sort of actives help by getting your site seen and heard about and will lower the percentage of follow links over time which is what google are looking for with a healthy backlink profile.

I am afraid its not going to be a 5 minute fix, its only my opinion and I could be wrong but if your backlink profile is as you say it is then I can only see the bouncing getting worse and it will settle much lower down as the trust has gone.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : Thank you for your generous answers
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Just a shot in the dark here, does your website have ads / banners on it? We are seeing a ton of movement with websites that are ad heavy
  15. No Profile Picture

My thoughts are you need to get onto review type sites and gain a lot of no follow links from a lot of genuine sites, I dont mean just post to everywhere.
    Chedders, all the links are on real blogs. They have a lot of posts, they have new content every week. I search for blogs with quality content + high visitors numbers + high DA/PA (here the minimum is a 25 DA).

If I ask the some of the owners to set my link to No Follow would increase the rank? Or at least didn't change the position but improve my "backlink profile"?

Just to add more info: my competitor has 2954 links from 10 different domais, but they have a 4% share for No Follow links. I am in the market for more than 3 years and they started November/2016.
  17. No Profile Picture

Just a shot in the dark here, does your website have ads / banners on it? We are seeing a ton of movement with websites that are ad heavy
    Thanks for your answer, Kernel.

It is an e-commerce, so we do not have ADS on the site. We just have an initial popup asking for the visitor to subscribe and a push notification.
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by IceFlok
    Chedders, all the links are on real blogs. They have a lot of posts, they have new content every week. I search for blogs with quality content + high visitors numbers + high DA/PA (here the minimum is a 25 DA).
    I don't think he was necessarily accusing you of having PBNs, you don't need to have PBN's for your backlink profile to be un-natural.

Whenever I do outreach, the majority of the links are no-follow by default, for you to be having only 1% no-follow, the liklihood is you're avoiding those sites which only give no-follow, therefore your backlink profile is still artifical. Probably about 10-20% of the visitors to my site are through a couple of my no-follow links; which to me, is a pretty good return.

Edit: Also, the fact you mentioned Moz's metrics instantly shows your main objective is to rank and not gain traffic.
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:09 PM.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by matt1966
    I don't think he was necessarily accusing you of having PBNs, you don't need to have PBN's for your backlink profile to be un-natural.

Whenever I do outreach, the majority of the links are no-follow by default, for you to be having only 1% no-follow, the liklihood is you're avoiding those sites which only give no-follow, therefore your backlink profile is still artifical. Probably about 10-20% of the visitors to my site are through a couple of my no-follow links; which to me, is a pretty good return.
    Matt, thanks again.

Can you explain to me how do you do this outreach? Because for my niche the only way I see is to comment on blogs. Because there aren't many options to the niche "clothes for kids and babies".
  23. Contributing User

Commenting on blogs isn't the best idea, to be honest. I actually think your niche is huge. The amount of Mum to be, Mum blogs etc there is...

I would dream of having your niche. Seriously lol. I'm not sure what the other guys think of outreach, but personally, as long as your objective isn't to get do-follows, and it's for traffic and brand awareness there's no issue in my mind. You can buy links... if you want to... just it needs to be no-follow. I would personally stop going by Moz's metrics and if you are going to buy links look for relevant websites in your niche to get your name out there, get traffic etc etc.

If you get lucky enough for people to love your service/product someone may write about you without having to stick money in their pocket... and who knows, they might give you the diamond of a do-follow link too?
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:17 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture

Matt, if I change some of my Do Follow to No Follow will I lose my rank? Because I am able to do this because I just need to get in touch with the blog's owner.
  27. Contributing User

I've never been in this exact situation before so I wouldn't like to give you advice as to how to recover from it just in case it was the wrong advice. The other guys who have commented here will be the better people to ask in regards to recovery...
  29. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by matt1966
    I've never been in this exact situation before so I wouldn't like to give you advice as to how to recover from it just in case it was the wrong advice. The other guys who have commented here will be the better people to ask in regards to recovery...
    That's ok! ;)

Just going back: besides buying links, what would you do more to outreach? I didn't get how would the others know my brand and after that maybe add a Do Follow link.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: