1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Expanding area of a local landing page

We have a couple successful landing pages for the local area where we rank first for the search term we want and that include the city name.

Without the local criteria (so a national search) these same pages bounce around the 20 to 30 mark and have occasionally popped in the top 10.
    The page url includes city name, the title includes city name and city name is mentioned a couple other times as well.

So my question is how to improve the national ranking of that page. Or do I just let it be and create a new landing page for a national search and just wait for it rise up.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

geo targeting pages is frown upon by google if done wholesale so avoid creating duplicate pages with just changing the name of the town / city.

Doing your local page is fine and its a lot easier to rank as the competition is far lower than a national search so ranking it on page 1 should in theory be a lot easier.

If the page is about the town then it does not make sense to use the same page for a national enquiry so I would create a separate page targeting your country. Again doing it by county or state falls under the geo targeting problem so dont be tempted to go that route either as it can get you into trouble.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018