1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question - Effects of deleting old high ranking blog post

Hi Guys,

I've relocated my service business to another country. I still get many enquiries on my website from the country I moved from as one particular blog page on that location is the highest visited page on my website after my homepage.
    The dilemma I've having is that I'm building up SEO and focusing on my new geographic area and don't really want or need leads from the last location.

Here's the question - If I delete my old location blog post/s, will this effect my site 'positively' or 'negatively' in regards to my website ranking in my new area/country that I'm wanting to concentrate on?

Any insight would be great as I can't afford to drop down the rankings but maybe the traffic from another location is holding my rankings back and restricting organic enquiries in my new geographic.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

If you just delete the old post and page then you will be in reality starting over as far as seo is concerned for that page, Don't Do IT .

Duplicate the page then only change the geo-targeting data and redirect the old page to the new page.

This way you get the benefit of any backlinks you may have to that page. It also stands to reason that if the page was generating traffic and leads then it should also do the same once the page is re-targeted to the new location. It may take Google a few weeks to recognize the changes so don't be to alarmed if you see a traffic drop for a few weeks. It should recover quickly.

An example of what I mean....(say you moved from France to England)

somewebsite.com/french-leads/ would redirect to somewebsite.com/uk-leads/

These urls are for example only and you can do better and just off the hip to explain the answer.

In addition to this you will want to tweak the whole site for the new country location as well. You will probably have to follow this strategy for the majority of the pages on your site.

Comments on this post

• matt1966 agrees
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !