1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Dynamic Landing Pages via ?term=

Hi all,

Had a question on dynamic landing pages and QS.

Right now, Google is giving me a low QS mostly because of my landing pages. The difficult route would be to make 100s of landing pages that would be relevant to each adgroup, or even more granular - each keyword.
    I'm thinking there is some javascript function that can pull the ?term= that google passes and then dynamically change the copy on my landing page (ie. my default headline is "hello world" - a google search of "pluto" would then change my headline to "hello pluto")

1. Is this possible?
    2. If it is possible, can this be a negative in Google's eyes? Essentially, I would be tricking the lp reader to think it's content specific to the query. In theory, this should increase my QS.
    3. If possible, and IS NOT a negative to Google - does anyone have an example of the JS to use?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Either I have missed some development or your way out of date here.
    Are you talking about the search term that someone uses in google being passed to the website ? if so I am pretty sure that stopped when google moved to HTTPS quite a few years ago.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. No Profile Picture

Hey Cheddars -
    I've really only seen the use of ?term= a couple advertisers, but one in particular is Shopify. Here is their URL from a search ad:
    https://www.shopify.com/plus/enterpr...FU5bfgodcdQLpQ

My search query was: shopify pricing

Notice the ?term=shopify%20pricing ...is this a custom parameter they are inputing for each ad group? I know that Google doesn't pass the search term anymore, so if this is indeed a custom parameter shopify is using, would it be possible to use it as a trigger to dynamically change my page? Also, would Google see this as a negative - even though my page would be highly relevant to the search?
  7. Dinosaur

So your talking adsense, you missed that part out in your question.

If your a paying customer then yes I believe they pass you the "term" that was used to display your advert as a parameter.
    I am afraid I cant help you much with adsense as everytime I have ventured down that path my children never got feed and I had to sell the wife.

As for can you use parameters to alter a pages content, of course, that's how interactive pages work. Almost every page on the net unless its plain HTML uses parameters and adjusts the content in some way.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hey Cheddars -
    Nope, still talking AdWords. Sorry if I confused you by saying "advertisers." Really meant, companies advertising on AdWords.

My search query was "shopify pricing" and their ad appeared top spot..clicked it, URL string included the ?term=shopify%20pricing. I'm guessing that this is a custom parameter they are using to include the ad group name because in Google UTM builder "campaign term" has the param "utm_term"

Anyone using ?term= ??

Also - The use of dynamic page content is definitely a thing that is done widely across the net, but I'm curious how it would affect my QS. Google is extremely smart and I'm nervous that if I use dynamic landing pages for paid ads, Google will notice and actually dock me. Any experience with dynamic pages and QS?
    Last edited by kgudgeon; Apr 20th, 2017 at 02:20 PM.
  11. Dinosaur

Google bot would never see the page when they crawl your site so therefore it would not help in rankings but can help in conversions if the content is tailored to suit the query