1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Duplicate / Syndicated Content Issue for Car Site

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd ask for some advice regarding a site I've created.

It's an online used car classifieds site, similar to Autotrader etc. Users and dealers can post their ads for free. It's not your run of the mill car classifieds site, its taken nearly 2 years to build and there are a lot of unique features and selling points which my competition does not have.

What I've noticed is, dealers usually just copy their ads from one site to another. This causes a major problem for me because I have less PA/DA than the big players, it seems Google automatically hides my site on alot of searches as it thinks the content is duplicated and only shows the more well known sites.

Has anyone encountered this before or know of a way of fixing it? I know long term i need to continue back link building and increasing my PA/DA. I don't want to go down the route of auto rewriting ads as it will put off dealers. I'm pretty stuck for ideas, help!
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

You need to read some of the other posts on here, Many posts go on about PA/DA which I will repeat for you.
    These are Moz scores and has nothing to do with google. They are a guide only and often miss used or understood. There are many flaws using this system if you dont understand what they are, its maybe best just to avoid them or at least not get too hung up about the scoring system.

Duplicate content is not as major an issue as you may think, we recently ran a test and ranked over 1,000 pages containing just duplicate pages to try and put to bed the myth duplicate content comes with some sort of penalty, it does not. The issue is your site just does not rank well for the keywords your checking.

Normally you should start by getting OCD about your onsite SEO. Fix everything you can, make sure the structure is perfect and logical and add content that people will want to share, this is called link earning. This is the safest way to improve your site. Starting link building is dangerous and we get users here all the time asking why their traffic has dropped only to find they have been doing link building badly.

All the above of course is just general advice but hopefully you will understand.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Chedders
    You need to read some of the other posts on here, Many posts go on about PA/DA which I will repeat for you.
    These are Moz scores and has nothing to do with google. They are a guide only and often miss used or understood. There are many flaws using this system if you dont understand what they are, its maybe best just to avoid them or at least not get too hung up about the scoring system.

Duplicate content is not as major an issue as you may think, we recently ran a test and ranked over 1,000 pages containing just duplicate pages to try and put to bed the myth duplicate content comes with some sort of penalty, it does not. The issue is your site just does not rank well for the keywords your checking.

Normally you should start by getting OCD about your onsite SEO. Fix everything you can, make sure the structure is perfect and logical and add content that people will want to share, this is called link earning. This is the safest way to improve your site. Starting link building is dangerous and we get users here all the time asking why their traffic has dropped only to find they have been doing link building badly.

All the above of course is just general advice but hopefully you will understand.
    Awesome, thanks for the info chedders, it's really helpful!
  7. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The amount of original content on the page is essential though for it to rank higher...
    Are you able to force more details from your advertising by getting them complete longer forms with more car specifics and then put it into some kind of semi-automatic context?
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end