1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Duplicate content product description concerns

I sell used smartphone and laptop parts on ebay <remove link> (the parts are my concern) and am moving on to having a website where I will be selling the parts there too <remove link> (still a major work in progress, suggestions on the site would be appreciated too ), inventory being synced up together. I typically use a simple description for the parts sold, for example:

“Up for sale is a used Genuine OEM Toshiba Tecra R950 R850 Laptop CPU Cooling Fan G61C0000S210. This part has been fully tested, is 100% working and in good condition. There may be signs of use as seen in the pictures.”

Putting the same item title in the description. There are constantly new single parts being listed with not a very high-profit margin so it is tough to justify putting to much time into each description.

After doing some research in SEO my concern is having duplicate content issues by the search engines with basically having the same description but changing the name of the product. Or is this not a issue? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; May 13th, 2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: remove links
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

eBay SEO is very different to Google SEO. Well sort of.
    They do a fuzzy search on the product title and partly product description but the results are then sorted by the amount of items sold, sellers reputation, price and free postage. Duplicate content on eBay search is not an issue.
    So if your item is popular and sell regularly it will shoot up the listings, if you get negative feedback then you will drop like a stone.

Its very much the case the sellers on eBay have look after their reputation which also leave them open to abuse, often buyers will threaten to leave negative feedback if there is a dispute in order to get what they want. Its against eBay guidelines but it happens on a daily basis.
    Also early / late delivery is part of their reputation system.
    IMHO
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the great response Chedders! So do you think if I used the same format I use to write product descriptions on my eBay listings on the product descriptions for my website it will cause duplicate content issues with Google for say 1000+ items? I would be using a different name but basicly the same wording besides that in each description.

For example:

Up for sale is a used Genuine OEM Dell Latitude E6420 ATG Laptop VGA USB Audio Board LS-6591P 0CYXNG. This item has been fully tested, is 100% working and in good condition. There may be signs of use as seen in the pictures.

Up for sale is a used OEM Genuine HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14-b109wm 14" CPU Cooling Heatsink 702747-001. This item has been fully tested, is 100% working and in good condition. There may be signs of use as seen in the pictures.

Up for sale is a used OEM Lenovo ThinkPad E520 Genuine USB Port Card Reader Board 04W1837. This item has been fully tested, is 100% working and in good condition. There may be signs of use as seen in the pictures.

If this is a problem would you have any suggestions to avoid duplicate content but still try to have a bit of a generic workflow for descriptions?

7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

In all honesty its fine.
    IMHO
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you so much!