1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Dropped from #4 to #10 - What can cause it?

I didn't make any changes to my website recently,
    and yet, I noticed that for one of my major keywords, I dropped from #4 spot to #10-11 spot, here's a graph:

What could be the reason? did suddenly all of my comptetiors became better, within several weeks? I don't think it makes sense.

Therefore, if it depends on my end, what can I do to rank higher again?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

It looks like its been in decline for a while but the big drop I would imagine it was around 8th March, if so you need to look into the update that has been nicknamed Fred.
    No One knows for sure what Fred was targeting but it appears to have been resetting some quality signal google use so less quality sites gets lowered and better quality sites bubble up to the top.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Chedders
    It looks like its been in decline for a while but the big drop I would imagine it was around 8th March, if so you need to look into the update that has been nicknamed Fred.
    No One knows for sure what Fred was targeting but it appears to have been resetting some quality signal google use so less quality sites gets lowered and better quality sites bubble up to the top.
    I'm not sure Fred is related as I don't have affiliate links on this page, just small lead form on the bottom after a lot of quality content.
    at March 13-15 I was back at #4-5 and then drop again.

The two big drops were Feb 17th, and March 17th
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I have seen other sites drop during march that did not contain adverts, I honestly think there is more to Fred than at first meets the eye. Its true a lot of spammy advert sites where dropped which is why I think everyone is reporting it was advert related but as I said I have also seen none advert sites being effected with a gradual drop and not the normal cliff type drop we saw with panda and penguin updates.
    At least google have now confirmed there was an update on the or arounds the 8th of march and I have not heard of an official name for it. But it does appear that they adjust quality signals in some way.

It could be possible as some of these advert sites where dropped, their page rank also dropped which in turn if they linked to you somewhere down the line you could have been effected, that would explain why none advert sites saw a steady decrease. It would happen like this as pagerank is readjusted across the web to reflect the new power of some of the links they provided.

If that is correct and its a big if as I have no way of testing it then the only answer is that your link profile has lost some of its power so you would need to look/work on that area.

With this update I think its a bit of guess work and I doubt anyone will be able to give you a 100% accurate answer. At least for now unless someone else here knows of something I have missed.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog