1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Domain name words

Hey Guys, Lara here...

I'm just starting a website as I've recently become a qualified marriage celebrant.
    I'm curious about the domain name, is it detrimental for me to put the word celebrant or weddings in my domain name or could I just put my business name (which doesnt have those big key words in it...)
    My business name keeps the website name a lot shorter, neater and good for branding, but I'm worried that I won't get the 'free traffic' to my page not using those major key words like celebrant or weddings. From what I've heard unless you're paying big money for adwords, its ideal to have these words in your domain. Is this true?

Just want some pros and cons because everything I read has mixed reviews.

Hoping to get some solid advice, this is driving me NUTS!
    Thanks in advance
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Lara,

Domain names have no effect in the ranking of your site. Google chooses the relevance of your site based on your title, headings, content and so on.

I would go with the shorter, brandable domain personally.
    Yorkshire tea will probably answer your question...
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

What is a qualified marriage celebrant ?
    @ Matt " no affect" that's wrong, they do just not like they did.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    What is a qualified marriage celebrant ?
    @ Matt " no affect" that's wrong, they do just not like they did.
    Thanks for the correction - in what sense though? Because incoming links are likely to use their brand name which is also their main keyword as anchors, therefore, it gives them an advantage in that respect?

Or literally, because it's keyword match, Google prefers this?
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 18th, 2017 at 12:26 AM.
    Yorkshire tea will probably answer your question...
  9. SEO Since 97

All one wants is the vote from IBL. And the sites infustrucure takes care of the keywords. Which includes the domain name, page titles and content.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Nov 18th, 2017 at 02:20 AM.
  11. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Google drastically reduced the importance of keywords in domain importance quite a while ago. Its effect now appears to be minimal at best, I would always go with a short memorable easy to spell domain name over a keyword rich one now as the benefits of having people remember your domain name far outway any slight edge having a keyword in there may give you. If you can combine the 2 then great but if not then short is best and avoid all the new TLD's such as .online, .me etc
    So many people over think their domain name, you should really go with your brand as it makes finding you a lot easier.

Comments on this post

• mayalice agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks heaps! That makes sense. Appreciate your response!
  15. SEO Since 97

Can you answer my 'what is question'?
    I'm curious.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Can you answer my 'what is question'?
    I'm curious.
    A Marriage Celebrant is someone who marries people, usually outside of the 'church' in Australia. They help the couple deal with all the legal paperwork and requirements to marry in Australia. Does that help?
  19. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Here is the UK there is a huge brand called B&Q who are a builders merchants to the public.

Someone really messed up and thought they was being clever without any thought for trading online.

Their brand contains a & which is not allowed within a domain name so it was impossible for them to get their brand name as domain name. Admittedly they started prior to the internet taking off so they would not have know not to use a non alpha numeric as part of their brand.

They went for something completely different DIY.com which perfectly describes what they do but is a total mess as far as branding is concerned. It just causes confusion to users when they search for B&Q and see a domain of DIY.com I can only imagine how much SEO work and brand building they have had to do to get google to marry the 2 together.

They have very deep pockets so spending the money to make this happen was OK for them but if your just a small marriage consultant I would imagine it would be outside your reach. You would be creating yourself some major work for people who have already heard of you and use google to find your site. This is why I would always go with your brand name or something close to it so it is easy to spot within search results.

I dont know about Australia but although Celebrant maybe technically correct for the work you do here in the UK most of the general public would never search for that as its not a well known word or meaning. I think test-ok having to ask what it means is proof of that. It maybe different in your country but I know personally here I would have avoided that word.

Its a bit like using the work Orthodontist when your a dentist, here is the UK 99% of people would search for a dentist even though the correct term maybe Orthodontist.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Lara
    Your domain name is not much relevant to the Seo techniques as your Seo is depended on many other factors rather then on domain name so i will recommend to use your brand name as your domain.
  23. No Profile Picture

The domain name simply the part of network address and act as a descriptor for websites. the domain name not effected by the google ranking. we should give simple domain name.