1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does my SEO manager know what he is doing?

Hello All,

I have previously worked for an internet marketing firm, but now am working for a software company and am concerned that our SEO manager is not following SEO best practices. When I used to do client review's of their SEO program, or would set expectations for a new SEO campaign, I always made sure the customer wasn't expecting any major results for at least a few months.

So, when our new SEO manager would post a blog, or do a press release, and then run to the sales department to see if the phones were ringing, I started wondering if he knew what was going on. Then, we started hearing that our traffic was up 20%, but when I checked our Google analytic's, it showed the overall site traffic was down 14%, the bounce rate was up 3% and page-views were down 4% (comparing to the previous month). So I asked the SEO manager where he was getting the "20%" number from and he told me that he was comparing to the previous days numbers. Now, maybe I am completely wrong, but I was taught to never compare SEO numbers in any short period. My understanding, is that comparing to a previous year is best, but you can reasonably compare months with a 90-day gap between. Unfortunately, I cannot compare July 2014 to July of 2013 because analytics was not on the site then, but this guy has been working on the site for 90 days, and I have only seen our traffic decrease.

I may be entirely wrong, but wanted to get opinions from actual SEO experts. I included an example of the content for one of the landing pages, if you can't tell, he is targeting 'USPS Plugin for WooCommerce' and I also included a link to our blog page. Please give me your honest opinion on his writing, take a look at the site and let me know if this guy knows what he is doing.

TrueShip Blog | TrueShip
    Last edited by Test-ok; Aug 7th, 2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: deleted example then approved
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You can't get a good grasp of traffic from a blog/press release in one day.

I deleted your example as it was purely a keyword stuffed ad.
    if you want someone to look at his writings post a link where someone can copy and paste, don't make it a clickable link.

to answer your question
    take a look at the site and let me know if this guy knows what he is doing.
    I'm not impressed
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Sounds like a graduate of one of those online "I make millions online and you can too!" webinar courses.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks Test-ok. Sorry about the clickable link and the example content I included is from a live landing page. You can clearly see that there was no actual effort involved in the content creation and the only tactic employed was keyword stuffing.

You can see his writing here: trueship.com/blog

I appreciate any and all feedback, so if anyone has a chance, please have a look and let me know your thoughts.
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I completely agree with you with what I saw...
    tactic employed was keyword stuffing
  11. No Profile Picture

Your SEO guy should not be getting paid to promote your site. Ignoring everything else, the simple fact that he thought that one day would matter is a bad sign. One good day is encouraging, but you should never compare anything smaller than weeks, and month long to three month long periods are better for evening out anomalies.