1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Does branding affect SEO rankings?

Hello there, guys!

First time posting here. So nice to be a part of this community as I know nearly nothing about SEO. lol

Let's kick this off with a question that came to my mind today. There is a certain website (A) that its link-building efforts are non-existent and another (B) that it has many referring domains with tons of backlinks. These are some real websites I have on my mind by the way.

Anyway, the website A ranks at the top of the results. Let me say that in terms of branding, it blows B out of the water. People along me when it comes to some products type the brand alongside the product's name. This brand's physical stores are nearly everywhere in my country. Long story short, they have a very strong brand.

So, it might be silly to say this but my only explanation is that branding somehow affects SEO rankings. Does it have to do with the fact that many people have already decided that they will buy from them when they type the key-phrase on Google?

I would love to hear your thoughts...
    Last edited by DesertExplorer; May 2nd, 2019 at 12:05 PM.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's a very good question.

Strong Branding is a very strong signal to google and something I have often wondered quite how google could determine a brand v someone selling the brand products.
    Its true natural links have always helped getting to the top slots but one thing you need to be careful of is falling into the misconception that all links are equal and that its a numbers game. For example lets say the brand website has a link from the BBC as they have just made the news for some reason. This alone would be huge for the site and far outweigh 1,000's of spammy backlinks the 2nd site will have built. 1 single link like that can have a massive impact on a sites ability to rank.

A good example here in the UK of brand v a really good ecommerce store is Fitbit. if I search for that Fitbit (the company) appears first) Argos (a huge ecommerces site) appears 2nd.
    I can almost guarantee you that argos have not built links but will have a huge backlink profile, Fitbit however would be somewhat lower in terms of quantity of links.

You will also notice that Fitbit (the company) dominate the right hand panel and google are correctly showing the company even though not UK based, so they fully understand Fitbit is the brand and give it priority in SERPS.

Quite how google do this is really complex and not just a matter of them adding their site to google my business (although for smaller sites that can really help)

So I don't really have a full answer for you other than yes google give priority to brands and how they collect that date. We could guess they take feeds from company registrations but I am guessing there.
    IMHO
  5. No Profile Picture

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer, Chedders!

Something else that came to my mind just now... You said that quality backlinks matter and it makes sense. Now, I'm wondering though whether the referrer's monthly traffic is a factor to how Google determines that quality to give priority to a website.

I guess my question is: if we could assume that Google favours quality backlinks, how do they evaluate that quality? I know, we can only hypothesize here, but could you take a guess? Could it be traffic or something else??
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The issue is with using traffic as a metric is google only know part of the story, they don't own the internet (as much as they would like to) so they cannot gain all the data required to know how much traffic a site gets. If a website installs google products then yes they would know but that never has any impact on rankings and cant. That would give users of google products an unfair advantage. By products I am talking google analytics and things like that.

The only data they have access to is search, they know how many times a website is displayed in serps and how many people click on it. This is a highly debated figure and many people believe a high CTR (Click Through Rate) = higher rankings. Myself I don't believe that is the case from the tests I have ran but more than happy to be proven wrong.

THey could use a data model to estimate a sites traffic, they also own DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.1.1 which allows them extra data for direct traffic but its never a full picture so I tend to call it a dirty signal. Yes it could be used but there is a lot more to take into account to get a true figure.
    Last edited by Chedders; May 2nd, 2019 at 01:47 PM.
    IMHO
  9. No Profile Picture

I see...

Thank you so much, Chedders! Your insights are invaluable to me right now...
  11. No Profile Picture

The better your brand performs as a brand, the higher and better it tends to perform in the rankings of Google search engine.That is the rule
    To be visible and recognizable you should publish lots of informational content, not just sales content.Also to have a high volume of traffic from social media, web pages, backlinks and other sources.For example,a solid brand can be a powerful tool that helps you not only increase traffic,but also to establish brand authority. Go to trade shows, sponsor industry events, seek out websites that need content,put on local workshopsor presentations.
    So I think, branding is really matter when we are talking about success of your brand
  13. No Profile Picture

Whoa! Thank you, Helen!! It does make sense of course. I really appreciate your input!