1. No Profile Picture

Does backlinking to Social Media Increase SEO?

Hi just had a thought. Im still learning and obviously not an expert SEO guy and had some questions. But does linking to social media increase SEO? Sorry if this is very noobish but I might as well clear the air for my team and I. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by NewyWeb; Sep 12th, 2016 at 10:29 AM.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Do you mean linking from your social media to your site? If so, then no it has no impact.

If you're linking to social media from your site, you may increase the ranking of these sites for your own brand search term.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

Do you mean linking from your social media to your site? If so, then no it has no impact.

- More so the links on SEO chat going over to the social media profiles. We were just curious to see if that helped boost these social media profiles in terms of what so called experts say is "link juice".. This term has been thrown to the ground a few times by some seo "gurus" out there. One of the guys reckon that it has a strong benefit if there are backlinks going to these social media profiles then a link from these profiles going to your site.

Thanks for the quick response by the way Thomas!
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by NewyWeb

- More so the links on SEO chat going over to the social media profiles. We were just curious to see if that helped boost these social media profiles in terms of what so called experts say is "link juice".. This term has been thrown to the ground a few times by some seo "gurus" out there. One of the guys reckon that it has a strong benefit if there are backlinks going to these social media profiles then a link from these profiles going to your site.

Thanks for the quick response by the way Thomas!
    Honestly, social media profiles get enough link juice anyway, they're linked to from pretty much every website in existence.

However, the ones on seochat won't help as they're nofollow: <a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.facebook.com/newyweb" target="_blank" class="fontawesome facebook"><i class="facebook-icon"><span class="screen-reader-text">Facebook</span></i></a>
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  9. No Profile Picture

There ya go. I think someones gonna get told ya so. Thanks a heap for that Thomas!
  11. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Just to shake things up a bit, the nofollow does indeed stop any link juice being passed forward to the profile however the tag is not literally google please dont follow this link. Google does follow the link so if google bot finds lots of nofollow links even if it has no direct benefit in terms of page rank it can mean the page gets indexed faster and more often. That on its own could be a benefit plus a health backlink profile would contain a good mixture of follow and nofollow links.

So in terms of ranking, no help but could help in other areas.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018