1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do you recommend removing / disavowing bad links?

Hi there everyone

I hope you can help me on this one. Recently, we've decided to remove the bad links and disavow them in hope that we can get a better place in our money keywords. We used linkresearchtools and ahrefs to do so.

We used to have many backlinks. We worked with a bad SEO who has made many links that looked spammy to us. He did everything the wrong way: from creating blog networks to creating links in spammy forums. The result? We'd got up to the 3rd place in one of our important keywords.

Anyway, we decided to clean our backlink profile and after deleting the blog network, our ranking dropped significantly. Now we have doubts... should we continue our cleaning and upload a disavow file for all the removed and irremoved backlinks?

What's your angle on this?

Here's our website if you'd like to change the backlink profile: <snip>

Our main keyword was "تبلیغات گوگل" which is the Persian word for google ads.

This is of importance to me and I'd be glad if anyone can tell me more about link cleaning and its effects.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Chedders; Nov 20th, 2017 at 01:03 PM.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Adding 1 more link from here is not helping your course. I have removed it.

Sounds like some of the links where doing you some good and you have cleaned too many good ones to me. The ability to identify what is good and bad is a bit of an art so really it would be best to employee a professional who can offer you recommendations.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I've had a similar issue, I cleaned up around 70-80% of my backlinks which were primarily spammy/ PBNs. I've also seen a drop in rankings, I know as a human that they were 100% PBN's etc, as it was obvious... super obvious. My rankings have also dropped A LITTLE...

I suppose Google maybe didn't acknowledge that some of the links were bad, meaning the disavow will probably be bad for the short term... but who knows what would have happened a year down the line if I kept them all?

I wanted a clean slate, keeping only the good quality links, authentic links; Not too bothered about the slight decrease in ranking because I can now sleep at night knowing the site won't be on page 10 when I wake up when Google finally discovers all the crap! Furthermore, when you've cleaned all the crap (even if you accidently destroy a few good links) you can then rebuild
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 20th, 2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Yorkshire tea will probably answer your question...