1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do Shortened URL's and the use of Bread Crumbs = Site Depth?

Any thoughts on this approach?
    I set sub category pages as child pages to the primary category in the back end of word press.
    However, rather than allowing that to create a sub/folder style URL I use a custom permalink plugin to modify the URL and remove all sub folders and only leave the page at hand as the URL.
    What this does is gives me the hierarchy organization within the bread crumbs but it also keeps my URL’s short and precise to the page topic.

Example:

URL: http://www.abc.com/garage (http://www.abc.com/garage)-door-opener-installation/
    Breadcrumb: Home>>GarageDoorServices>>GarageDoorOpenerInstalla tion
    So… The Breadcrumbs present the depth in associated pages yet the URL remains short and precise to page topic.

Note: I came to this method because when using Yoast and trying to optimize out for a key term it would not reconize the key term in the URL if it was in a sub folder.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by JeremyBooze
    Example:

URL: ]http://www.abc.com/garage (http://www.abc.com/garage)-door-opener-installation/
    Breadcrumb: Home>>GarageDoorServices>>GarageDoorOpenerInstalla tion
    So… The Breadcrumbs present the depth in associated pages yet the URL remains short and precise to page topic.
    If you are going to use breadcrumbs do it correctly.....

per your example I would do it like so.....

Home > Garage Door > Openers > Installation
    or
    Home > Garage Door > Services > Installation
    (not knowing the site , I have no clue which of the above would be more appropriate, Openers or Services)

Home should be linked to home page, Garage Door should be linked to the Garage Door page, then Openers should be linked to the Openers page and you should style the last crumb to indicate it is different and is your current page. In addition it should not be linked. Remember Bread Crumbs are a seconday navigation !

Notice I broke up the words for readability. I only used 1 separator character, not two. Looks better.
    Look at the breadcrumbs below, the middle one, yours, well it looks spammy, it also repeats itself. Not good !

Home > Garage Door > Openers > Installation

Home>>GarageDoorServices>>GarageDoorOpenerInstalla tion

yours with a single separator character and duplication removed.

Home > Garage Door > Services > Opener Installation

Honestly which do you like better ???

As for removing the sub directories, that is a debatable decision. Some folks say a flat site should not use bread crumbs some say otherwise. I for one would use some sub directories to take advantage of Silo'ing via the directory structure, it will aid you in ranking. Note some will say you get more benefit from using just the bread crumbs, me I would use both. Get the biggest bang for the buck so to speak.

As far as Yoast is concerned, I use it to check and modify titles & descriptions, any thing else I use a PHP plugin to modify the code, but then that is a personal preference, I am a coder.

Being too short, can be detrimental.

Comments on this post

• JeremyBooze agrees
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Aug 23rd, 2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into a bread crumb plugin so I can edit those and make them shorter ( I can see how it may look spammy). Currently, the breadcrumbs default to my page title.

I do like the shorter bread crumb descriptors.

As for the double (>>) That is how my theme displays them by default. I would probably have to edit the php to change that. I use thrive themes. Or maybe the breadcrumb plugin will fix it.

------

1. As for the site being flat due to no sub/folders in the URL.... by setting some pages as child pages and having that display through the bread crumbs and adding appropriate connecting links.. wouldn't that still constitute as a silo?

2. I'm not sure what to do about the sub directories... I read mix opinions on this. Some say sub folders are good to create depth (with content on each folder page) but then they will also say a shallow or "flat" site structure is best. Testing this is the tough part as we can't just go swapping URLs in an out due to current back-links that are already in place. (There would be alot of 301 going on and risk of rankings performance)

3. Even though I'm not using sub directories in my URLs I am still achieving good site wide page authority. I contribute this to my directory pages... for example: I have a directory page for all my "Garage Door Services". I then link out to each individual services, which is set as a child page to the Directory page. I believe this gives me a strong theme based architecture.

I do the same with my location pages - link out from a directory page - however, These locations pages are not set as child pages to anything (They are however set as redirected to as blog "category" pages.

Note: All of my most important key terms/pages are set as primary blog category pages. On WordPress, if you're familiar, you have the option to redirect your blog category page to a highly optimized static page. So...essentially even though I'm not using a folder based URL structure, every blog post I make is aliened beneath the category page/static page. I then link these blogs back up to the static/category page, creating a linking silo but not necessarily a sub/folder silo.

I don't know:
    Maybe this is over kill or just not right. I"m relatively NEW to SEO so I"m going off from what I have read while experimenting in the process.

So to recap: What do you think: you can view the site here: Garage Door Repair Service | Spring Repair - Garage Door Pros LLC

I have Static pages set as child pages to the Garage Door Services page (Garage Door Services > Garage Door Repair) (All with flat URL's) All Child pages are linked to from the Garage Door Service directory page..... and each of the child pages are set as a blog category page via a redirect.

In doing all this I'm hoping to create depth in my static pages via the breadcrumbs, but then also creating a silo by building out the blog post and linking back up to the category page which is set as a "static" service page.

Any thoughts? I have been able to achieve site wide Page Athority with the MOZ tool bar.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

First.... one of the mods here may go in and de-link your post. It could be seen as an attempt to gain a link, but I don't think that is the case here. ( I could be wrong, I have before, LOL ).

1. You have a nice looking site.

2. You are making your city pages unique, which is a must in this situation... Good Job!

3. After looking at the site, I would recommend use of a couple of directories... it will help you. Maybe a Services Area directory. Would take a little thought here.

4. You need to implement rich snippet code to display your Google Review Ratings in the SERPS. You have 21 Google 5 star reviews.Use them to enhance your CTR.
    This page will explain it for your >>> https://developers.google.com/search...-types/reviews. A lot of folks here, my self included believe that reviews will push your site up in the serps. I know it puts my clients in the Map Pack.
    A word of caution here, do not, I repeat "DO NOT PUT THE REVIEW CODE ON YOUR HOME PAGE ! A Google NO NO !
    Do not put it on every page at once. Put in on one page, then wait for a couple of week then add another page. This is Google's recommended procedure. Again not the home page tho.

Don't worry to much about the depth of the site, I am not saying it is not important. Instead look at it from the point of view, "how many clicks to get to a page". A max of 4 clicks is ok, but 5 clicks is not good. Those pages that take 5 clicks to get to need some help, I would recommend if you have any that deep, put them in the footer. Do it right and it will look good and get the pages from 5 click depth to 1 click depth.

Over all you got a good site, keep up your work. You are definitely on the right track. Congratulations !