1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Do i need to noindex my blog

Hello Guys,

I'm webmaster of local law website (Personal Injury) in US. Before sept 2016 (possum update) we have great ranking (local), but starting that time we start dropping for most of our important Keywords.

Few weeks ago i hirex one of the famous SEO gurus in US (most of you know that guy, but i'm not going to promote - so no name :-)) and one of his suggestions was

"Are you a blog or are you a local law site. Rankbrain has to decide which one is which. Right now is chooses blog."
    His suggestion is to NOINDEX all blogs (right now are noindexed category pages, tags - all pages that can duplicate original pages)

Our website is eng/spanish website, 1.3k listed pages in google (600-800 pages are blog posts - "news", "tips", "what to do" ). All of them have original and uniq content - so it's hard decision to noindex huge part of the website.

What do you think !

Any advice will be appreciated !

P.s. here is the picture of indexed pages for other websites with competitive keywords in google

1st site - yelp
    2nd - 38 indexed pages
    3rd - 1.6K
    4th 330
    5th 1.3k
    6th findlaw (directory law website - with a lot of pages)
    7th 6k
    8th 193
    9th 31
    10 660

1. yelp
    2. 38
    3. 193
    4. 1.3k
    4. 330
    5. 1.5k
    6. findlaw
    7. 5.9k
    9. 31
    10. 663

thanks
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Personally I think your famous SEO Guru is talking total BS.

Why on earth would a blog not rank for a given keyword even if rankbrain decided it was a blog. If the blog is about X then google would not penalise it or hold it back just because its a blog. Maybe this guy is one of those who talks the talk but in practice has not really got a clue on what makes a site rank.

I have been sat here trying to work out your figures you are showing, for the life of me I dont understand them.
    However I have just got up and on my first coffee
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I agree with Chedders,

I optimized a law website end of last year and that particular website has a blog. This is a non-problem.
    If you think that Google has difficulties understanding wich of your pages are your business pages and your blog posts then you could add schema data JSON is very useful for that.

Your talk about possum update but this update most likely only impact ranking in the 3-pack and Local Finder.

So when you talk about loss in ranking to you speak about 3 pack rankings (map)? or do you speak about Google.com general result pages for local queries?

Could you provide us a URL either in the thread or in PM so we could take a look at it? It's very hard to give you advice this way.
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply
    So when you talk about loss in ranking to you speak about 3 pack rankings (map)? or do you speak about Google.com general result pages for local queries?
    both, organic and Local, but right now i mean organic results.

Your talk about possum update but this update most likely only impact ranking in the 3-pack and Local Finder.
    ImHO possum update and all changes that started after are more than you mentioned : 3pack and local finder.

If you think that Google has difficulties understanding wich of your pages are your business pages and your blog posts then you could add schema data JSON is very useful for that.
    Of course we have schema markup.

2 Chedders
    I have been sat here trying to work out your figures you are showing, for the life of me I dont understand them.
    That was output of search in google.com for "2-3 most competitive keywords". So i get all websites that are on the first page on google and check how many pages they have indexed in google (site:website*.com)

Most of law firm websites don't have a lot of indexed page (20-50 practice area pages + about us, attorneys, contact) - maximum 30-300 pages. If website have >1k pages it mean that website have blog, faq, tips section.

with my 1st most competitive kw on 1st SERP page
    2 directory websites (yelp and findlaw) - so it mean >100k indexed pages (but for RANKbrain it's directory website)
    8 law websites
    - 5 websites with <600 indexed pages
    - 3 websites wit >1k pages ()

---
    another kw
    2 directories
    5 websites <600 pages
    3 websites >1-2 K

Maybe this guy is one of those who talks the talk but in practice has not really got a clue on what makes a site rank.
    May be, but IMHO there is something that confusing Google. Ii don't sure it's RANKBrain issue (blog, local business website) or banklink profile - negative SEO factor (we got >1k backlinks during March -sept 2016 ), other issues (which i can't find).

As i told for a long time (before possum) we had good ranking in LA area, and don't deny the possibility that there were a lot of negative SEO guys who try to hurt in any way our ranking (negative SEO - backlinks from spund websites, fake reviews, etc).
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

It looks like a link issue to me, I am afraid my backlink profile checking skills are not the best but from what I saw with the cliff style drop in Oct last year that screams to me penguin. I believe there was a update on the 8th so you may want to check out if the drop was within 2 weeks of that.

I have said in a PM Dr Marie is the penguin expert and I am sure she will be able to confirm or not if that is the issue.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  11. No Profile Picture

We didn't have any drop on march 7-8.