1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Do I have to target both long tail and mid tail keywords (with same Head term)?

Hello All,

After some online research i found that it is better to target long tail keyword than head terms or mid tail.

1.Do we have to create or target one page for one long tail keyword and another page for mid tail keyword even though both have same head term?

For ex: My Head term is 'Chess Openings' , Mid tail is 'best chess openings', and long tails is 'Best chess openings for white'

I am targeting my Category page for Head term. As long tail is more specific, shall i create a page for long tail? If so, these two pages will not compete for the Head term as both contains the word 'Chess openings'?

Thanks in Advance..
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I would target all those (and other long-tails) on one page.

Example: Title: 'Chess Openings' - H1: 'Best Chess Openings' - H2: 'Best Chess openings for white' - H2: 'Classic chess openings'... etc
    Or: For long-tail terms it's quite common practice to just include them in your copy... (maybe <em> or <strong> but not always necessary)!

If you wish to create extra pages for additional keyword variants it's best if those extra pages are "below" the "parent page" (in url/folder and link/menu structure)... That way they're more likely to "reinforce" the "parent page" SEO efforts for the "parent term", rather than competing for it.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for the explanation.

I already have a product category page ranking in 50+ page for the keyword 'Chess openings'. So i decided to target head term for this page. As it is a category page, i cannot create more content for this page and difficult to include longtail keyword in this page. I am forced to create subpage to target long tail keyword.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : Ahhh thanks... That makes sense :)