1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Dictionaries as competition in ranking?

Hey guys i am new to this and ive done some research but cant find answer on my certain question.

I found apparently good niche.When type in google it shows first 7 sites as different types of dictionary explanations and the rest of sites on page 1 are rubbish, is it a good or bad sign ? Is dictionary easy to beat in SEO and ranking ?

Let me know please would really appreciate any reply.

Kind regards Sammy
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I found apparently good niche.When type in google it shows first 7 sites as different types of dictionary explanations and the rest of sites on page 1 are rubbish, is it a good or bad sign ? Is dictionary easy to beat in SEO and ranking ?
    When typing what in google?
  5. No Profile Picture

Hmm

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    When typing what in google?
    When typing my niche name in google.

My niche name is same as my website name.

First page in google of that particular word(my niche) is filled up with dictionary websites.

is it a big competition? Is it possible rank higher than them easy?

Thank you
  7. No Profile Picture

I could help you better if you told me your niche.
    There are multiple keywords that may give the same results. If those dictionary links are related to the niche, then you gotta compete with them. if irrelevant, don't worry bout it. Make sure you stay relevant and keep updating your site, along with proper use of keywords in content, just don't overdo it. Keyword stuffing backfires more often than not.

Cheers
    Sidhant
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If the top results for your main keyword are online dictionaries, it suggests your main keyword is an informational query. The reason the other websites on page one are junk is because they thought their non-informational page could compete with the dictionaries, but there's a good chance no one is clicking because they are looking for a definition rather than a product or service. Unless your website is some sort of encyclopedia, I'd look for a different keyword space.

Comments on this post

• seriousam agrees
  11. No Profile Picture

You are quite right there. But it might so happen that whatever keyword the person is using, does not have a content contributing website. Instead the Search Engine shows you links of Dictionaries which have the those keywords.
    It might be a great opportunity in its own mysterious way...

Comments on this post

• seriousam agrees
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Your question is hypothetical which is very difficult to answer...hypothetical questions for seo purposes are just guesses.
    What phrase are you talking about. Spit out some pertinent information and you'll get a much better answer.
  15. No Profile Picture

no.1

Originally Posted by Adam.W
    If the top results for your main keyword are online dictionaries, it suggests your main keyword is an informational query. The reason the other websites on page one are junk is because they thought their non-informational page could compete with the dictionaries, but there's a good chance no one is clicking because they are looking for a definition rather than a product or service. Unless your website is some sort of encyclopedia, I'd look for a different keyword space.
    Could not imagine a better answer, you are actually right and i did not looked at it from this perspective. It is informational query but with little potential in selling products and services. I made a little ebook on mystical stuff and there is plenty of information about related word for sale or business. Thanks for your reply!

morelifeSidhantToday, 12:50 AM
    You are quite right there. But it might so happen that whatever keyword the person is using, does not have a content contributing website. Instead the Search Engine shows you links of Dictionaries which have the those keywords.
    It might be a great opportunity in its own mysterious way...

That is really true and for educational purpose i reveal the keyword because it is beautifully connected to what you have said : Mysticism > mystic, mystery.

Thanks for your reply

Test-okToday, 01:43 AM
    Your question is hypothetical which is very difficult to answer...hypothetical questions for seo purposes are just guesses.
    What phrase are you talking about. Spit out some pertinent information and you'll get a much better answer.

Lets be straight and like i have mentioned above the keyword is Mysticism.
    Do you have any opinion to share with us ?

Thanks everyone for their time and reply.

If you have any ideas or tip and tricks or any type of opinion on this subject please let me know, i am really curious what you think about word Mysticism as a potential niche. It might help someone else to realize how informational niches work and stuff...
    I am still a newbie maybe i just talk and think s&!%..

Thank you