1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Delete or redirect spammy posts with backlinks?

Hi

I have a website that was initially built to get visitors from Facebook. It has since been reworked for search traffic, with higher quality, keyword research posts.

The website has around 100, 300-500 word posts that are pretty rubbish. I want to delete these posts, as I am concerned I am being penalised for them, but many of them have organic Pinterest, blog comments and forum backlinks etc.

Should I simply hit delete, or should I delete and redirect them to the relevent category? Many of these posts are a bit random, so there is not an obvious, similar post to delete and redirect to.

Any advice would be greatly received.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I want to delete these posts, as I am concerned I am being penalized for them
    I can't tell if your pages been penalized or not, without website URL (if you don't want to share it publicly just PM me)

Should I simply hit delete, or should I delete and redirect them to the relevant category?
    Many of these posts are a bit random, so there is not an obvious, similar post to delete and redirect to.
    Here are some options and pointers about your old posts:

- Create links on your old post that would link back to new relevant pages and direct traffic that way.
    - Don't delete pages that have some links and/or drive some traffic to the page (check Majestic/Ahrefs for backlinks and Google Analytics for traffic)
    - Redirect old posts to the new relevant pages. If you don't have any relevant content then create some.
    - Deleting them is just a waste if they are not penalized
    - Don't redirect or link from pages that are actually penalized it could destroy your new pages.
  5. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If the page backlink profile is not spammy but only the content is, maybe you should rewrite these articles keeping the same URLs and making them relevant in terms of content.
    Last edited by Pierre Benneton; Mar 13th, 2017 at 09:44 AM.
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta