1. No Profile Picture

Content Writing Freelance work

hello friends ,

i wanted to get your expert advice on my potential freelancing career as a copywriter or content writer,

now i have always been an english enthusiast all my life but to my knowledge thats not really enough for a successful writing career

1. What sort of literary works are in the scope of content writing for example articles,blogs,seo writing,editing,proof-reading etc
    2. What are other software's or knowledge i need to have to be good at it, for instance , if im asked to write an article id write that on MS WORD and thats that,
    but today articles are being written based on specific ad words , or keywords
    3. What software is being used to find these keywords or adwords to be incorporated in the article?
    4.Is it normally just the articles or blogs or are there other small things like clients require for example referencing etc?

thanks alot
  3. Administrator
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello and welcome,

I'm not an expert but here's what I think:

Originally Posted by mr2299muslim
    What sort of literary works are in the scope of content writing for example articles,blogs,seo writing,editing,proof-reading etc
    "Writing Content" could be almost anything. It really depends on what people need. You could be writing articles and blog posts or you could be writing material for ads. You have to pick what you want to write, study it, and practice it to become good at it.

2. What are other software's or knowledge i need to have to be good at it, for instance , if im asked to write an article id write that on MS WORD and thats that,
    but today articles are being written based on specific ad words , or keywords
    3. What software is being used to find these keywords or adwords to be incorporated in the article?
    I'd imagine that any word processor, like MS Word, is probably fine. For keywords and such, I'm under the impression that if a client has a specific requirement they'll let you know about it (e.g. "use x number of links to authoritative sources," or "use xyz keywords abc times each.") The real skill is in writing something that reads naturally, like a real person with 100% proficiency in the language would say or write, and still meeting your requirements. Normal human beings don't think to themselves, "Ok, in order to communicate effectively I need to use the word 'ice' seven times in my next five sentences. I should also reference three other people who are ice experts." Just cramming in the required keywords and links anywhere is going to make the content sound fake. If it reads poorly, it probably won't meet its goals. The problem is that, of course, a lot of this content is probably being created specifically for SEO purposes. But you've got to make it sound like it wasn't.

That's my impression of most content that is created by freelancers, anyway. Ideally, people would write their own content as subject matter experts. Or they'd hire a specific subject matter expert to write their content, instead of hiring multiple freelancers who probably are not experts but do know how to write with keywords in mind. It's tricky. I'm sure others will have more/better things to say about it.

4.Is it normally just the articles or blogs or are there other small things like clients require for example referencing etc?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean linking out in your content? Sometimes people want that. They should let you know exactly what kinds of sources are ok and which ones aren't. Most people want authoritative, powerful, trusted sources in their content - so .gov's, .org's sometimes, etc. Wikipedia style stuff. Sometimes they might tell you "include a link to this internal page xyz number of times," if they're trying to build an internal link structure.

They should probably be doing that kind of stuff themselves and not leaving it up to a freelancer, but that's neither here nor there I suppose. Everyone has different amounts of time and money - limited resources - and chooses to spend them in a manner in which they believe business can be best conducted. We could talk about ideals all day, but I don't think it would answer your questions.

Hope some of that helps. Really, the client should be specific with what they want from you. If they aren't specific, you need to ask them questions to understand exactly what they want. The handful of freelance content services I know - ones that connect freelancers to clients or act as middle-men - are generally pretty clear about what they want.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Hey Mark, I couldn't help noticing your "ice" remark, use it seven times...

Pykrete was invented by Geoffrey Pyke. It was a mixture of ice and sawdust, 1 part of sawdust or wood pulp products and 6 parts ice. The British Navy experimented with making unsinkable ice aircraft carriers during WWII. The war actually ended before the first ice carrier was fully constructed and made operational. The British War Department also noted that the hull of any ship constructed of ice and sawdust also ended up having much better armor protection. It seems that ice when use in the hull construction of ships would make torpedoes almost useless. By the way.. the test ship was left to melt in the North Atlantic and the ice lasted almost 7 months before it all melted.

Just having fun....
  7. Administrator

Haha, well done! So it can be done.

That's actually one of my favorite "weird WWII" stories. What was it about WWII that made everyone want to build weird weapons?
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks alot mark for the detailed answer, im looking to start a freelance career in content writing and i really wanted to know which platform u recommend getting content writing work , or any particular forums or companies that u would recommend, like ive heard of one company called Wisdompad
  11. Administrator

I know how a few of them work, but share professional ties with them so I would rather not say. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some suggestions!

I would check online reviews and other forums too - I'm sure that if any are truly, truly awful to work with then you'll find no shortage of people talking about it on the Internet.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Create your self a linkedin profile... account...

One can create a nice business stream from that avenue.

Comments on this post

• markroberts agrees : Ah, I forgot about that! I've heard some folks do quite well with LinkedIn.