1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Content vs Site Speed

Hello,

I am helping a legal professional select a new SEO company. We have narrowed down the search for two.

While they both offer similar services for a similar price point, there are two differences. One is offering a total redesign of the site

to improve site speed, but do not offer ongoing content services in the package (content is an additional cost).
    The other offers content but not a site redesign.

Moving forward for 2018, which factor will be a greater influences on SEO? Site Speed or Content?

Thanks!
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

As long as the sites not a slug it doesn't matter too much. The phrase 'content services' scares me a little.

What have you done to vet both companies?
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the help. I probably should of used a different way to say "content development" other than "content services." One company is going to write legal special content 4x times per month and add it to the site. Each piece will be 500 words plus and keyword optimized. I have had each company run reports on our current NAPs, Linking, Page Ranking, Onsite SEO, etc. They then gave us an overview of what they propose would be the best way to optimize our SEO further. We already compared the clients current site to their competitors and it seems to be that the person showing above in most searches has more in depth content, so we thought content was something that needed to be improved on the current site. However after hearing the one client say page speed is an issue, and specifically mobile page speed I wanted to look into this further. I have seen more an more info on the internet saying that page speed effects rankings, but I cannot see how much it weighs. Currently the clients page speed is right around the same as their competitor, but google page speed insights says they could use work.
  7. Moderator
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Page speeds more of a tie-breaker. As long as your page speed isn't ridiculously slow it won't be a massive issue.

Content is key, it's a good way to getting natural backlinks too, I'd personally never trust a random SEO company with content creation though. Do you mind me asking how much they're both wanting money wise per month? Because in all seriousness, any good SEO would do sitespeed for you within the package anyway in my opinion... and with content, if it's going to help you rank - again, any SEO would help in this department because they're just doing their job.

I don't think it should be an option of "content or side speed" because either way you're paying for a lesser service. Be aware that there's a lot of rouges in this industry.
    Last edited by matt1966; Dec 31st, 2017 at 01:46 PM.
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Site speed can be an issue as Matt pointed out but we are not talking milliseconds here. If a site takes 30 seconds to fully load v a site which loads in around 2 seconds which one is giving the better user experience ?
    Almost all sites can be tweaked to be optimal but if its under 5 seconds then it should not be a major concern. The biggest culprit is normally images and any decent SEO company would optimise your images. I always target a total of 100kb for all images on a page. If your using wordpress there are many plugins that will do that for you so its a simple install and activate and let it do its thing.

The reason I am banging on about site speed though is coming this year if google are to be believed then mobile first will be activated. this will mean that your site as viewed on a mobile device will be what is indexed. More and more people are now viewing websites on a mobile device so it sort of makes sense. page size then could become a major issue as mobile devices often have slow connections so to be prepared for the change over you need to make all your pages lightweight and mobile friendly. if its heavy on graphics and slow to load then it could be a problem going forward.

Any good SEO company would be or should be aware of this update coming and if not then I would be worried.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018