1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Contacts appear in Google search but not main page?

Hi there,
    My website is 'thredbobabysitters.com'. If I Google babysitter and Thredbo, my contacts pages appears on the second page of listing but I cannot find my main page anywhere. Help please!
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Apr 6th, 2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: de-link and approved
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It is indexed (search Google for: site:thredbobabysitters.com You have 2 pages indexed: index & contacts).
    I also see your index page at #12 for: thredbo village babysitters

Reasons why this is happening can be various, but I took a quick look and can see the following (obvious) "issues":
    1. Your index page is not linked to from your "contacts" and "about" pages, (thus receives less internal links than either of the other pages).
    2. Your index page and your about page both contain (100%) identical content. Even the images in the slider are the same (and have no "alt tags", thus google has no idea what they are images of).
    So Google has not indexed your "about" page (and will not look "kindly" on the duplicate content)!
    3. The page titles for your 3 pages ("index/contact/about") are Thredbo Babsysitters, Thredbo Babsysitter and Thredbo Babsysitters respectively. These are too similar (basically identical as far as Google is concerned).
    Thus your contact page - with it's 100% unique content - and more on-site links than the index page, is ranking higher for some terms than your index page.

Fix this as follows:
    1. Add your "index" page to your on-site menu.
    2. Write new content for your "about" page, OR: add: <meta name="robots" content="noindex"> within the "<head></head>" area of the page source code until you can change it (then remove that tag once you have done so).
    3. Rewrite your page titles so they are more varied - according to the page content and the keywords you wish to "target"... for example:
    index: Thredbo Babsysitters
    about: About Thredbo Babsysitter Services
    NOTE: These examples come right off the top of my head and should not be taken literally (I'm sure there are better choices).

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    Last edited by ClickyB; Apr 6th, 2016 at 10:17 PM.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]