1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Confused about google positions of low content page verus a better content full page

OK, so its all about the content apparently, but I have two similar subject pages, one that has some content and one that doesn't, please see:

scenicnorfolk.co.uk/map-of-suffolk/ - Map of Suffolk, showing villages, coastal towns, cities and attractions in Suffolk

scenicnorfolk.co.uk/map-of-norfolk/ - Norfolk map of villages, the coast and popular towns

These are local maps of the local area that my website covers (I am a landscape photographer)

The map of suffolk page is nicely positioned 1st for the search term "map of suffolk"
    The map of norfolk page struggles between positions 30 and 40 for the search term "map of norfolk"

Both have the same amount of competition so why is my non content page (literally just a heading and google map) indexed much better than the page with some extra content?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
    Daniel
    Last edited by ThomasHarvey; Aug 27th, 2015 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Modified URLs
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hi Daniel

Oh this is a great one, Everything google tells you that the norfolk page should outrank the suffolk page.
    However what I think is going on is the signals for "map of norfolk" is being diluted by the content. The suffolk page is just that its the map and nothing else so its pretty clear it is about the map. However the norfolk page is about norfolk but for good measure also includes a map if that makes sense.

The issue is the no content page you could say is thin content which in theory should hold it back but for some strange reason google seems to like it.
    I checked all the onsite bits and there does not seem to be any problems with either page, well nothing drastic anyway, I am sure you could tweak a few things to help but I and talking small tweaks here and there.

Have you thought about putting all the content on a separate page and have just a link from the map page for further reading about the area to see if that levels then out ?

I think I would be tempted to try that and would love to know if you do and see if that helps on the ranking issue.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Interesting!
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Panda is just one of the eliminates, you need good uncopied content and rank to push it.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Many thanks for your reply. I can see your point about the map element possibly being diluted by the content. Thanks for the idea of putting it elsewhere, I can but try! I will let you know if i have any success.