Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Cloudflare and SEO

Currently I'm using the free cloudflare plan for my websites.
    1. to get SSL
    2. for DDOS protection
    3. As A CDN network

Some people suggest that Cloudflare will have negative impact on my SEO because of loss in sitespeed (not for me so far) and the fact that spammy / adults sites might be running on the same cloudflare IP adress.
    I was hoping to get some more opinions on this subject and advises on other options if necessary.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Utter rubbish
    I run a lot of sites via cloudflare without an issue. and adult sites on their own are not spammy so why you draw a link to the 2 I am confused about.

The caching side of cloudflare speeds up a lot of sites as well.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Utter rubbish
    I run a lot of sites via cloudflare without an issue. and adult sites on their own are not spammy so why you draw a link to the 2 I am confused about.

The caching side of cloudflare speeds up a lot of sites as well.
    Thanks for your response.
    Often adults sites are considered as "bad for seo" for non SEO sites. Therefor my remark.
    My on Europe focused website has an USA based IP adres because of the use of cloudflare, hope that doesnt hurt it to much..
  7. Dinosaur

Google fully understand about shared servers and its not always the case that a adult site is toxic and even if you shared the same IP it does not force a link to it.
    As it happens all the sites I have on Cloudflare are on different IP's, they dont just us the 1

Comments on this post

• Justi agrees : thanks for your insights
  9. No Profile Picture

we recently saw some issue with one of our client using cloudflare, suddenly all of their organic traffic dropped, and the culprit was cloudflare. We made a case study on this, here https://serverguy.com/case-study/cloudflare-seo/
  11. Dinosaur

Many thanks for the post serverguy. I like you are really sceptical about the cause, its hard to dispute the facts that if you saw a drop in rankings and a rise depending on if use cloudflare or not should be pretty strong evidence, its just not something I see on sites so I do feel something else must be the cause although I currently cant think of one unless there was some software conflict but even that is hard to understand how.

From all the sites I use cloudflare on I have never seen a dip that I can relate to the service.
  13. Dinosaur

15. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Serverguy, I had done a bit of a look into that and found the link that Chedders had sent, I sent a tweet to John Mueller and Gary Illyes, John got back to me:

https://twitter.com/JohnMu/status/862265871678529536

That sounds unrelated. Many sites are on CDNs. If set up properly, CDNs work great for users & search engines.

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  17. No Profile Picture

We recommend Cloudflare and have always used for ourselves too, however, we didnt think that cloudflare could be the issue here. Anyway, we rolled back every change we did in the last month but pages weren't ranking back so we thought that there could be a new Google update. Well, there was no talk of any update and mozcast wasn't showing any changes so the last option we didnt try was getting site back on our server's IP address. Which means disabling cloudflare.
    After doing that we saw some changes...the website's pages ranking were back on track. Again, we thought this could be because of the changes we did so we decided to test it another time. We enabled Cloudflare again and didn't change anything, and pages dropped again so it was clear who was culprit here. Finally, we disabled cloudflare and since then the site is back on its feet as you can see from the screenshot in the post.
  19. Dinosaur

I am 99% sure there must a conflict issue with this particular site, I am not saying what you saw did not happen but there will be a reason else millions of sites would also suffer.
  21. Dinosaur

This is going to be really dumb question.

I notice your screen shot is from search console, I assume you was checking the https property and not viewing the old http where traffic would have dropped like you saw.

Seeing as you use it on other sites that would be really dumb to be checking the wrong property which is why I did not mention it before.
  23. No Profile Picture

No its not a dumb question, and we were looking in the right direction
  25. Dinosaur

So the site has its own https certificate then I take it
    From the graph that is what I would expect if switch from http to https and not looking at the right property.
  27. No Profile Picture

Yes, there is a little difference in the way Cloudflare works as compared to other CDN's. With Cloudflare, the IP address of your site changes to the Cloudflare IP whereas with standard CDN's this is not the case. As highlighted in the article, we do not have 100% evidence to back that Cloudflare caused this but the graphs show that there was definitely some relation with Cloudflare which is evident from the ranking changes happening with Cloudflare enable/disable.

Anyways, this was just 1 case out of hundreds of websites that we manage that use Cloudflare. Just wanted to share our experience with people that might be facing a similar problem and did not know what exactly to do in such a scenario. Cloudflare has been great for us too and we strongly are in favor of CDN's ourselves.
  29. No Profile Picture

Yes, there is a little difference in the way Cloudflare works as compared to other CDN's. With Cloudflare, the IP address of your site changes to the Cloudflare IP whereas with standard CDN's this is not the case. As highlighted in the article, we do not have 100% evidence to back that Cloudflare caused this but the graphs show that there was definitely some relation with Cloudflare which is evident from the ranking changes happening with Cloudflare enable/disable.

Anyways, this was just 1 case out of hundreds of websites that we manage that use Cloudflare. Just wanted to share our experience with people that might be facing a similar problem and did not know what exactly to do in such a scenario. Cloudflare has been great for us too and we strongly are in favor of CDN's ourselves.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: