1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thumbs up Chatbots and SEO

Hey Folks - new to this group and looking for your help and advice

I'm building a chatbot widget for website/blog. A chatbot uses AI to learn from responses and can engage visitors in human like conversations. It drops bounce rate, increasing dwell time and therby impacts SEO. Basically, it makes digital experience interactive and interesting.

I have put a lot of time and effort in it and would love feedbacks.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

How is this remotely related to SEO ?
    bounce rate, increasing dwell time and therby impacts SEO
    your premise is flawed which worries me that your just here to advertise your product.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi, It is very much related to SEO. If bounce rate is high and user engagement (defined by metrics like avg.session duration) is low, it has considerable negative SEO impact. To get an idea about dwell time (combination of bounce rates, session duration and CTRs on SERP), check out this article from Search Engine Journal - https://www.searchenginejournal.com/...me-seo/108905/.
  7. Dinosaur

Just because someone else believes it fact does not mean it is.
    At one time a lot of people thought the earth was at the centre of the universe and the sun went around.

I am sorry to say I have ran extensive tests on this and proved it to be false.
    However it's great for getting eyeballs to blogs and backlinks like you just fell for.
  9. No Profile Picture

I haven't conducted extensive tests. I will believe it since you have tested it. I don't believe everything I read about SEO factors. But it does make sense for Search Engines to include this factor also. (Since they now consider hundreds of factors now). That is why maybe I fell for it.
  11. Dinosaur

You have to remember with these type of statements is that it assumes google know everything that is going on.
    If a site uses no google products such as analytics then the only information they can get is if a user is using chrome, it cant see traffic from users of firefox, safari or any of the other browsers out their. so dwell time is really limited and they will only have a sample of data which may or may not be a typical cross section of the user base. I can well imagine for example users visiting apple may not be using any google products so go under their radar.

I grant you a sample is better than nothing and useful information can be gathered but should that be enough to determine a sites ranking ? Also google have repeatedly denied that using analytics influence other systems and it does not share data across their network. That could be BS but if we take them at their word then the only information they have is from google results. they could use the CTR and bounce rate to understand if the results they have presented to the user was good or bad and adjust SERPS accordingly. However if that was true then the hackers of this world would have a field day by increasing bounce rate of competitors and lowering that of a site they control. It is extremely easy to write a bot to do this which is exactly what I did to test if CTR and bounce rate could change a sites ranking either short term or long term.

On my test I increased CTR by over 20% and drastically lowered bounce rate at the same time, it was ran if memory serves me correct for about 6 weeks with zero effect on SERPS. OK things change all the time and google do move the goal posts a lot but from what I measured at the time I am fairly confident this was proved to be one of the many cyber myths floating around.

As a website owner though monitoring CTR and bounce gives you valuable information about if your site is performing well and you can measure changes you have made to be positive or negative but that should be the sum total of the meaningfulness of these figures.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thank you for sharing this. Your experiment sounds like a logical way to validate this theory. However, there are something which I still can't connect. Analytics is for the webmaster or website owner. Its data has no significance for Search Engines. Google collects plenty of information even without chrome. If a user clicks on a result and comes back to SERP, then it sometimes pull down the link in future result. This is irrespective of the device or browser.

I am really thankful though for sharing your experiment result or I would have continued to believe the myth.
  15. Dinosaur

I was referring more to dwell time. Its really a common belief that a long dwell time equals better ranking.
    If no google products are involved they dont have a clue how long a user spends on a site. After all users could also come from bing and stay a lot longer than results from google. I am not suggesting thats a fact just a possibility.