1. No Profile Picture

Question Changing/redirecting the URL

Hello I am meenakshi, new on this forum. My website is abc.in. And my concerning URL is www.abc.in/xy-pq. Now i want to change my page url www.abc.in/xy-pq to www.abc.in/xy-pq-rt. In google www.abc.in/xy-pq is rank on 15th position. Now what i did-
    i redirect my old url to new one permanently. After that i thought about the duplicacy of content in my old as well as in new page(as content is same). then i remove all the content from old domain. now i am sharing my new URL for indexing the new one.

My question is what it effects in google SERP? will my new url work from the 15th rank or from the initial state. and the serp existing rank will go up or down? what is standard way to handle this type of situation.
    Need your comments.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

remove all the content from old domain.
    I assume you mean page not domain.

If you have 301 redirected your old page to the new page there is no need to remove any content as the content wont ever be seen. By doing a 301 then your new page is good to go. However you also need to change any internal links that went to the old page so they now point to the new page. If you have any external links pointing to that page you should also try where possible to get them changed as well, its not always possible though.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks,
    but is it effect in google SERP? will my new url work from the 15th rank or from the initial state. and the serp existing rank will go up or down?
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by meenakshirana
    Thanks, but is it effect in google SERP? will my new url work from the 15th rank or from the initial state. and the serp existing rank will go up or down?
    It's impossible for anybody outside of Google to answer this.
    If you have 301 redirected correctly, and if you can change all the existing internal (and external) links, you will have done everything possible to retain your rankings... But it's still not possible to predict Google's reaction with 100% certainty.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You'll almost always see a small drop, nothing to worry about.