Thread: Canonical URLs

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Canonical URLs

Hi, I would like to know how many canonical URLs we can use on a website. For example, if I have a website with a lot of duplicate URLs, would you recommend removing them entirely or should I simply put a canonical tag to them? And is there a limit on the number of URLs you can canonicalize? Let's say for an example, I have a website with more than 3000 URLs and there are around 1000 duplicate URLs, should I simply canonicalize these URLs to their original counterparts? Will canonicalizing 1000 URLs have any effect on my search engine rankings? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Canonical tags are one solution but they do not address the fact that the pages are still duplicate. Yes, search engines will recognize one as the official version and will associate the authority with that page, but traffic will still be split. I recommend using 301 redirects - especially if any of the duplicate URLs earned backlinks.

And to answer your original question, there is no limit to how many canonical tags you can use on a website but, as with anything in large volume, you need to be careful to make sure they are all formed properly. Don't accidentally put rel=canonical on two different pages and point them at each other. Not that you would make this mistake, but there is less risk with 301 redirects - yet another reason I recommend them over canonical tags.