1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Can You Create Google+ Account for Business Without Physical Location?

I donít have a brick and mortar location. To my knowledge, that means I cannot create a Google+ page for my business. First, is it true that I cannot make a Google+ page? And if thatís the case, will this directly hurt my SEO if all of my competitors have Google+ pages?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you're targeting your local area and you can't get listed on Google maps due to not having a location, next best thing would probably be schema as you'd be telling Google where the website is located.

Example:

Code:
    <script type="application/ld+json">
    {
      "@context": "http://schema.org",
      "@type": "Place",
      "geo": {
        "@type": "GeoCoordinates",
        "latitude": "40.75",
        "longitude": "73.98"
      },
      "name": "Empire State Building"
    }
    </script>
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 1st, 2017 at 01:40 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you for the fast reply. I'm mostly interested in creating a Google+ account for my business without providing a physical address for my business whatsoever. Is this possible?
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by ges7408
    Thank you for the fast reply. I'm mostly interested in creating a Google+ account for my business without providing a physical address for my business whatsoever. Is this possible?
    I have no clue. I know you can make Google+ without a location, but as for Google my Business or whatever it's called now I think you do need a location. Makes sense that it wouldn't work as it's main reason is to be added to Google maps etc which needs a location.

I don't think you should dismiss schema. You could do Organization types too so your business does come up which would be the closest you get to what you're wanting
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by ges7408
    Hi ges7408

What's the aim of your company Google+ page, is this to get you ranking locally/appearing in the Google 3 pack for local search results?

If so, then the 3 pack and local results are no longer driven by Google+, this functionality was migrated to Google My Business (GMB) a couple of years ago. You can setup & claim a GMB listing without a physical address, you still need one, but this can be your home or a location you have access to (as there is a postcard verification process). What you do is create your listing as a service based company that does not service customers at its location. The address then disappears from the map/GMB listing but you still appear for local search.

You can also create a Google+ listing & post on there, you should also link this to GMB manually once you've claimed the listing, as they are no longer automatically linked, this does not require an address to set up either. The only real drawback of not having an address, is some directory listings that are useful for local citations insist on an address, so they can't be setup without one. These have a bearing on local results, but it really depends on how competitive your industry/niche is.
  11. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I have a Google+ page for my photography and I don't have a building. Because I don't have a building, I can't have a map listing for obvious reasons.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Nov 1st, 2017 at 06:44 PM.
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  13. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Hikin Mike
    I have a Google+ page for my photography and I don't have a building. Because I don't have a building, I can't have a map listing for obvious reasons.
    Hi Hikin Mike

Do you not have any location in the town; e.g. your home? As if you do you can still have a local maps listing via Google My Business, but as a service area business.

That's what I was suggesting to the original poster as an option, but they've not replied to confirm if that is what they wanted to do...
  15. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Insite Web
    Hi Hikin Mike

Do you not have any location in the town; e.g. your home? As if you do you can still have a local maps listing via Google My Business, but as a service area business.

That's what I was suggesting to the original poster as an option, but they've not replied to confirm if that is what they wanted to do...
    In my case I don't have a studio (I don't photograph people) and I'm not going to list my house.
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Just FYI

You can have a GMB using only a city name and zip code. This is for those business that do not have a physical location / showroom.

https://support.google.com/business/...DDesktop&hl=en

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
  19. Contributing User

Hi Hikin Mike

As KnowOneSpecial's link shows, that's exactly what I was referring to for the original poster, a service based GMB listing. You still have a local map listing but DO NOT show your home address, we've set this up for several businesses in the UK that operate their business from home & go out to their customers, but it's exactly the same principal in the USA.