1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Broken Images - How much do they really affect SEO?

How much do broken images affect SEO? A year or so ago we made some changes to our site and as a result some of our images are broken. We're slowly fixing them as we come across them, but do they affect SEO in a crucial way? Should we make more of an effort to speed up the process of finding these and fixing them?
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Well, speaking from a user's point of view...

If I visited a site and saw some broken images, I'd turn around in an awful hurry and go to a different site. Broken images look unprofessional to me, and make me feel like I can't trust a site. Google often says that you should do SEO for your visitors, not for the search engine. Going by that logic, I think it's worth investing time in fixing broken images. If for nothing else, then just to build trust with visitors.

Comments on this post

• Hikin Mike agrees
    • seork agrees
    • DonJarppi agrees
    • ThomasHarvey agrees
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I completely agree with Mark. There's software out there such as screaming frog that will help you track these down. Makes the whole process so much easier, the same also applies to broken links.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  7. No Profile Picture

That's what I figured, thank you! I downloaded Screaming Frog last night but from a newbie's perspective there's a LOT the program does/analyzes and it's tough to know where to begin! I'm looking at the images section now, but it doesn't say whether or not they're broken, any help would be greatly appreciated!
  9. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Lauren S
    That's what I figured, thank you! I downloaded Screaming Frog last night but from a newbie's perspective there's a LOT the program does/analyzes and it's tough to know where to begin! I'm looking at the images section now, but it doesn't say whether or not they're broken, any help would be greatly appreciated!
    The bit you'll be looking for is the response codes section. There will be the following sections:
    All
    No Response
    Success (2xx)
    Redirection (3xx)
    Client Error (4xx)
    Server Error (5xx)

The bit that you need to look at it the Client Error 4xx.

This then brings up a list of all broken images/links/js/css that can be found on your site. What you then need to do is click on the specific broken object then at the bottom of screaming frog you will see the following:
    URL Info | Inlinks | Outlinks | Image Info | SERP Snippet

Click on Inlinks and the From url is where the broken image/link/js/css is being referenced from. There may be multiple URLs in this section.

Hope this is helpful.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  11. No Profile Picture

That was extremely helpful, thanks Thomas!! Now it seems I have a bigger issue on my hands... our only broken link is stepoutbuffalo.com/javascript.js which affects all of our pages. Should I try to fix this myself or contact a SEO professional?