1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Blog Posts Cannibalizing my Content?

I have a few clients who have some pretty extensive blogs (150+ blog posts) - all of which are pretty short articles that don't do much for SEO purposes. I'm trying to figure out what to do with these posts, and here's what I'm thinking.

First - Identify what posts are ranking already (position 1-50) and make them better.

Second - Identify what posts are similar to them and fix the internal linking structure.

After that, I'm not sure what to do. Should I canonicalize posts that don't serve any purpose? noindex them? I'm just not sure if they'll hurt because they'll still relate but not have any use to readers. They don't want to delete any of their posts, and I cant optimize all 150 because they'll just have duplicate content issues.

Thoughts? Anything is appreciated!

Thanks,
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hello,

I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't noindex them. That would just kill whatever benefits you get from them, even if they're only small. Canonicalizing some posts into others about the same topic - especially if you write some new posts that can summarize 5 or so in a single rip - might be beneficial. Just make sure that whatever you canonicalize the posts into is related to them, you know? You might not be able to squeeze 50 posts about 50 subjects into a single post - but squeezing 50 posts about 25 subjects into 25 posts makes somewhat more sense, you know? Just make sure the new posts are related to the old.