1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Blog post duplicated on LinkedIn post

Hi,

We copy our company blog from our website and post it in our company's LinkedIn account. I wanted to know does Google penalize us for doing this? If yes, then how can be prevent getting penalized while still posting the duplicate content on LinkedIn.

Thanks!
    Ankita
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

There exists the potential that Google will look at your company blog, then at the posts on LinkedIn, and decide that one of them is not worth showing in the SERPs since it already exists elsewhere. Potentially, that means those duplicated pages on your company blog could vanish from the SERPs and only the LinkedIn ones would show up. Or the reverse.

You should read Google's duplicate content guidelines: https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/66359?hl=en

Especially the part about "syndicate carefully".

It might also be helpful to read about canonicalization: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks a lot! That was very helpful.
  7. Contributing User

What is the exact answer then?

Do we have to modify the content of our company blog or linkedin post to keep both unique?Please give a more detailed answer on this
  9. Not An Expert

Originally Posted by smkghosh
    Do we have to modify the content of our company blog or linkedin post to keep both unique?
    I would, yes. Rewrite it to provide new value to its intended audience whenever possible. The really low budget and lazy way to do this would be to rewrite it just enough so that it doesn't look like a duplicate - like a student copying an essay. The better way to do it would be to write something new and exciting, on the same topic perhaps, and then perhaps link back to your company blog post for "more information," or "for more on this topic, check out..." or something like that.

If you had control over LinkedIn's page, you could add a canonical tag to it to indicate that it is an exact copy of your blog. But I don't think anyone has the ability to do that, so it's a moot point. I misunderstood the canonical tag, it's probably irrelevant to this discussion.

OP asked if there was a penalty. Google only penalizes duplicate content that it believes is "malicious," or in other words, content that is duplicated with the express intention of manipulating search engine results. If you do this, you run the risk of Google noticing and slapping you with a manual action or some other penalty. I would advise against using duplicated content just to get better rankings. It's an extremely short-sighted and kind of lazy way to do things.
  11. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I would post the entire article on your blog then send people there from Linkedin using a unique, relevant, compelling teaser.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    • Prof.stan agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Here it's what Google says about that(paraphrasing):
    You can use the same content however you have to link back to page with your original content and it have to be consistent across the internet, also it is strongly advised to use no follow links that will point to original content.

It's well known concept of press release. Business have been doing press releases since the beginning of the Internet, but Google has gotten more and more strict about this.
    In 2017 do 50 -100 news syndications with optimized anchor text(keywords) and do follow your links you can tank your site for good. Stay safe and do what the G says.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
  15. Contributing User

So,

If i post a content about about 'how to do seo' in my main blog ,and then rewrite the whole content like 'How to make seo work for you' like this and post it to say linkedin and then link back to my original blog post about the topic,Is this a great way to do things?

Now if i do follow (in case of linkedin and most of the other social profile post link is nofollow) or now follow the linkback to original content in the blog?
    Last edited by smkghosh; Mar 3rd, 2017 at 01:23 AM.
  17. Not An Expert

Follow KernelPanic and ForeprimeSEO's advice - they've boiled it down to exactly the answer to your question, I believe.
  19. No Profile Picture

Thanks @Marketoberts, @KernelPanic, @ForePrimeSEO. I have a question which site will be penalized in case I continue copy/paste my blogs on LinkedIn? Also, I wanted to know in general if someone else duplicates my content the who will be penalized me or someone else site?