1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Block Backlink Checker Software

Is it possible to block Backlink Checker software from checking the backlinks on my site to prevent competitors from doing a link analysis? Or maybe the better approach would be only to allow Google, Yahoo, and Bing to index the site and block all others on robot.txt? Or should I avoid this idea since it could have unintended negative effects such as blocking a reputable but lesser-used search engine?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If they abide by your robots.txt you could do that option, but I doubt every backlink checker would honour your robots.txt. Also, not all your backlinks are shown through webmaster tools, so you'd kind of be blocking yourself from seeing your own links even if it was to work? Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to even attempt it
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yeah,, I routinely ignore robots.txt directives.

Using copy protection, ie stopping folks from right clicking then copy and paste. I never bother with it. Why because it doesn't work. It only keeps folks that are honest, honest. If there is content on your site, folks will copy it...every visitor to your site gets a complete copy of your page stored in your browser cache. You only need to copy and paste that to have the site.

So stopping your site from being scanned, at best is a futile effort. Not worth the time and trouble to do something with no return value.

Also your backlinks are not on your site, they are on external sites that have links pointing to you. How are you going to control the sites that link to you to stop them from being scanned. You don't !!

All I need is your domain name to find links to your site... I never have to touch your site at all !!!!!!
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I forgot to ask you a question...

Are you trying to hide your out going links to other sites... if you are.. this is against Googles TOS. It is not a good idea at all. Trouble is all that will get you.. and lots of it.