1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation Best canonical practice for frame forwarding

I have a website that will have a public-facing domain, but has to be masked and hosted within another domain.

My understanding is when you mask (or frame forward) a domain, search engines see this as duplicate content and it will affect your rankings -- even if the content is only hosted on one server.

I'd like to know if anyone has dealt with this before, and if someone can recommend the best practice for making sure only the public domain will be ranked.

Will I need to add a canonical reference that is specific to each web page (ex. <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.publicsite.com/news-article.html" /> ), or should canonical references be the same base level URL on every page (ex. <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.publicsite.com/" /> )?

Any advice that can be passed along will be greatly appreciated - thanks
    Last edited by dzine; Jun 29th, 2017 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Example links defused in advance :-)
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

i am not sure that google would honor the canonical in that way, since the two pages are not identical...from my experience, if pages are not identical google tends to ignore rel="canoncial references..I strongly recommend testing first....from my point of view, this has a high likelihood of negatively impacting your rankings...
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  5. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I have an existing website that, for reasons I won't get into
    I understand that you do not want to discuss this choice but I would love to understand why this is only solution available to you

As I understand, by default this causes search engines to crawl the content twice
    I you are using an Iframe then technically the search engine does not crawl the content twice because it does not read your iframe content... You could howether still push some content to google by adding a noframes tag that would provide the content to the search engine spider.

My question is this: will I need to include a canonical reference that is unique to each web page (ex. <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.publicwebsitename.com/june-news-article.html" /> ), or will providing the base web domain name ("http://www.publicwebsitename.com") cover that? And will I need to include one or the other on all web pages?
    The thing with a rel canonical tag pointing to another URL is that you tell Google to index only the canonical URL.

EG: Domain A as an Iframe displaying content from Domain B . you add a canonical tag on Domain A that points to Domain B, then you say the search engine do not index Domain A but please index Domain B instead.

The real question is do you want to rank only with Domain B or with both Domain A and Domain B
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  7. No Profile Picture

Best Canonical Practice for iFrames (domain masking)

Thanks for the reply, Pierre. I'd love to understand the necessity for this conundrum myself, but I can probably most succinctly sum it up as "due to layers of bureaucracy".

I you are using an Iframe then technically the search engine does not crawl the content twice because it does not read your iframe content...
    This is interesting; I've never heard that search engines do not crawl iframes, although I would rather play it safe and add canonical tags anyway, since this is a relatively unique situation.

EG: Domain A as an Iframe displaying content from Domain B . you add a canonical tag on Domain A that points to Domain B, then you say the search engine do not index Domain A but please index Domain B instead.
    This is correct, and exactly what I need to do. My only question at this point is (and maybe this is a stupid question), if there is any harm in adding a canonical tag to each unique web page (FWIW, they are all static HTML pages). Obviously, I don't want to hurt my search engine performance, but I don't want to leave anything to chance, either.

Thanks again!
  9. SeoRaptor

This is correct, and exactly what I need to do. My only question at this point is (and maybe this is a stupid question), if there is any harm in adding a canonical tag to each unique web page (FWIW, they are all static HTML pages). Obviously, I don't want to hurt my search engine performance, but I don't want to leave anything to chance, either.

Thanks again!
    If you add a canonical tag on a Site A page pointing to a Site B page, then you will hurt your site A rankings but it will not hurt your site B rankings

For reference this article ( https://searchenginewatch.com/sew/ne...engines-frames ) is linked for the official google support site.

Hope this help you.
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Pierre Benneton
    If you add a canonical tag on a Site A page pointing to a Site B page, then you will hurt your site A rankings but it will not hurt your site B rankings
    All helpful information, but this in particular is what I'm after. Thanks for your insight, Pierre!
  13. SeoRaptor

You're welcome. Feel free to open a new thread if you have other questions.