1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Alt tags needed for Twitter Card and Open Graph

Googled and I can't find an answer to this.

Using a Wordpress website, and I have incorporated Twitter Cards (TC) and Open Graph (OG). Each of these require unique image sizes, so I am uploading two extra images on every product. These two extra images aren't used on the page, but merely referenced for the page on the back end for use when someone 'shares' the product, and then of course the TC and OP pull the image from my server into the appropriate social media account..

In Wordpress, do I need to add alt tags for these two images, since they are not actually used on my page, and only used on FB and Twitter sites when they are shared?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

You wont find the answer because there is not one. Well if there is not that I know of.
    On open graph though you have title and description which you should fill out but how sites use these fields is upto them.
    Cant comment on twitter as I dont use it.

Comments on this post

• em836 agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply. I found some interesting info regarding meta alt tags although they are not the same. See links below. It would seem Yoast does not support or integrate these?

Reference links:
    og:image:alt
    The Open Graph protocol
    twitter:image:alt
    https://css-tricks.com/essential-met...-social-media/
    The CSS article states they are not required, however both recommend.

Also didn't realize Twitter uses OG as a fallback.
  7. Dinosaur

Yeap image.alt is in the specifications for open graph, however a lot of FB accounts are private so as such google wont ever get to see the image. FB and other social networks are a strange one to be honest as its impossible to google to keep up with everyone's timelines and posts. Its maybe an area I should look more closely at but besides traffic and engaging with customers I have never been able to see any real SEO benefit. I could very well be wrong.

Maybe time for social fans to jump in and explain why social is good for SEO with some examples ? .

Comments on this post

• em836 agrees
  9. No Profile Picture

I didn't think about the lack of googability (new word? TM) of social media profiles with privacy settings, in regards to adding image.alt tags for sharing. Makes sense though.

I've been looking for a site which has share buttons and uses the recommended image.alt tags but yet to find one.

Maybe there is no benefit to adding these recommended image.alt tags in SEO? Even if it's a tiny percentage of ranking, it would still be worth it in my mind. Although as you point out, social media itself may just drive more traffic and have no real SEO gain by itself, so it would be an indirect SEO benefit via secondary factor?
  11. Dinosaur

Not really as sharing an image to say Facebook is not like embedding it on somewhere like a forum.
    Facebook take a copy of the original and serve it from their own servers so the link between your site and the image being displayed is lost.
    The link Facebook give you is nofollow so as far as link juice is concerned there is no value.

It can help maybe help Google understand your niche with the wording etc being displayed but that's all I see it being useful for.
    I tend to think of social networks more as a marketing tool than a Seo one. Happy to be Corrected though
    Last edited by Chedders; Sep 13th, 2017 at 09:36 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture

I didn't realize FB takes a copy of the image and puts it on their server. Makes sense as they would instantly crash most websites if something went viral through sharing. I'm glad we had this conversation as I could not find a good explanation anywhere else. Thank you sir.