1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

After how many characters does google stop indexing your title tag?

I know that SERPs will typically only show 65-75 characters, but how many will Google actually index? Meaning, if I write a title tag with 125 characters, might I have a chance to rank for the KWs at the very end, even though they don't show in SERPs?
  3. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The title tag displayed in the SERPs is a question of pixels width and not a question of characters a title full of | will display more characters than one displaying only _ . this being said it is generally considered a good practice for Google optimization to keep it under 70 chars.

I would have to search the ressource (it's a google video can't remember if it's matt cutts or John Muller) but it is clearly said that when it comes to the <title> google can read more than the characters displayed in the SERPs and actually takes it in account for rankings.

On the other hands it seems that Google gives more importance to keywords placed at the start of the <title> so stuffing keywords at the end of the <title> to try ranking for them seems a non-sense.

To answer your question in a more direct way I would say no, you won't have a chance to rank on any competitive query using this strategy.
    Owner of Bennetonable | AdWords certified - Analytics qualified
    On-Page SEO Cheat Sheet | "My opinions are my own. Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."