1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Advice on top level domains

I started doing SEO for my own company recently. My company is located in Estonia. We sell windows. We sell them to Norway, Sweden and Finland, but our production is in Estonia. Historically our domain is lumico.ee and the we have sub-domains for every language (no.lumico.ee, se.lumico.ee, etc). We now want to have a separate top level domain for each country and loose the .ee domain as we have no interest in targeting customers in Estonia.
    The problem we are facing with our current platform is that it cannot be installed as a single instance, but different top level domains connected. So we have to (1) change to a new platform, which we do not want to do right now as we are planning a redesign and upgrade only next year, or (2) installing separate instances of the same platform for each top level domain and have each of them translated into desired language.
    With option number 2, our developers (contractors) have said to us that, if we install separate instances of the same platform, then search engines will read and compare the code base and will understand that they are the same and thus are stolen and we will be penalized.
    This does not seem to be a legit explanation, as each instance will have URLs and content though similar, but in different language.
    The information I found on duplicate content does not say anything about search engines comparing codebase.

Can anyone please bring clarity on this issue?

Many thanks!
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's true that Google may penalise for duplicate content, but you can overcome it.

The best place to start is HERE

Good Luck
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]