1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Adding new service, should I build new site?

I have a cell phone and tablet repair shop and that industry is getting very crowded with competitors. I want to expand to start offering drone repairs.

My business name is Mobile Device Rescue and it ranks pretty well for cellphone repair related terms.

I have bought a good domain name for drone repairs but my question is would it be better to add a section to my current site for drone repairs or use the new domain name and build a site optimized only for drone repairs?

Would that be better and under the About Us tab have information about Mobile Device Rescue.

I dont know if Google frowns on that sort of thing or if it is a valid strategy for getting more business.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jonnyiphone
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

It is normally fine to interlink your sites via the About Us page but dont do it via keyword rich anchor text. This starts then to look like a PBN. Also dont do a sitewide link, that really then is spammy.

As for single site or 2 sites, thats a tricky one. In most cases people build 2, 3, 4 sites etc in the hope that they will gain more in SERPS of page 1. In realty its rare they have the resources to do that so having it as a add on service to a site that is already ranking will be quicker to start gaining traffic. But is mobile repairs close enough to drone repairs. There may be a cross over in produces but its not a closely related one.

Getting 2 sites to rank well is going to require twice the effort and maybe take longer but if there is not a good fit between products then that is the route to go so that the new service dont confuse google and lower your rankings on your mobile repair site.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : see below (sorry no RP4U)!
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

My normal response is almost always "one site only", but in this case they aren't a good fit and I too would recommend a dedicated site (and suck up the extra work involved).
    I also agree with the rest of Chedders post

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Chedders
    It is normally fine to interlink your sites via the About Us page but dont do it via keyword rich anchor text. This starts then to look like a PBN. Also dont do a sitewide link, that really then is spammy.

As for single site or 2 sites, thats a tricky one. In most cases people build 2, 3, 4 sites etc in the hope that they will gain more in SERPS of page 1. In realty its rare they have the resources to do that so having it as a add on service to a site that is already ranking will be quicker to start gaining traffic. But is mobile repairs close enough to drone repairs. There may be a cross over in produces but its not a closely related one.

Getting 2 sites to rank well is going to require twice the effort and maybe take longer but if there is not a good fit between products then that is the route to go so that the new service dont confuse google and lower your rankings on your mobile repair site.
    Thank you for this great advice. I am going to build a new site for drone repairs. Now I am wondering about Google Maps and having what looks like two business reside at the same address and have the same phone number.

Would it be better to get a second phone number for the drone side of things?

Will having two business reside at the same address hurt my Google Maps rankings?

Thanks,

Jonnyiphone
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

A friend of mine recently wanted to monitor how successful a market campaign was he was doing. As this was traditional type marketing i,e, leaflet dropping, paper advertising etc unless he asked everyone how they heard about them it was going to be difficult. So he hired a telephone number, I thought it was a bit of a overkill but he was paying cents per month which they overlaid onto his normal phone number, He also got a report on how many people called that number once a month.

The point of this is it is possible to just rent a telephone number with the same area code (depending on the country where you live) so your new business has its own number for google maps etc. The same physical phone will ring but at least it would appear as 2 separate companies.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare