1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Added over the fold banner, went from page 1 to 3

by mistake I've added for about one hour a banner above the fold, above my h1 title.

It was in a new page that was indexed about a week ago, and for a certain (not very popuplar phrase), I ranked at first page.
    I noticed I went down to 3rd page, and looked at the cached version and saw google indexed the page again, this time with the banner.

Is it a coincidence, or does it mean I should never put any banner above the fold? It wasn't even a banner with a link, the link was leading to a form inside my page with an a href="#id".

What will happen once I remove it? will I go back to first page? or is it more complicated?

I have other, older pages with this kind of banner, am I guaranteed to get better ranking I if remove it or move it below the fold?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Reverse the change, and monitor it ... if it goes back to its old ranking, then it was the banner .. if not .. it could very well be your competition has 1 upped you.
  5. No Profile Picture

since I went down 2 pages in 2 days, I suppose it was the banner. but, how soon shall I expect to see a change? does google "reimburse" as fast as it took him to "punish" the page?
  7. No Profile Picture

If you take the time to check your serps when you rank check your site, click the link that shows you the cached page and note the date. Continue to do so daily till you see the cache date change. This is a good indication on how long it takes Google to revisit your site and check it for changes and such. Once you know this time span, you can use it as a rule of thumb on how long to expect to see a change in your serps. Notice I said "rule of thumb", not an exact schedule I am afraid.
  9. No Profile Picture

today I'm back to first page after removing the banner - I didn't wait for google to crawl it, I told him to fetch it and crawl manually yesterday, so after few seconds the cached version was alrady up to date, but it took another day to actually make a difference. so the conclusion - above the fold content makes a huge difference and i should never put there anything that is not navigation and H1 heading I guess?
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by buckyy
    today I'm back to first page after removing the banner - I didn't wait for google to crawl it, I told him to fetch it and crawl manually yesterday, so after few seconds the cached version was alrady up to date, but it took another day to actually make a difference. so the conclusion - above the fold content makes a huge difference and i should never put there anything that is not navigation and H1 heading I guess?
    Yes, above the fold content is very important. You learned quickly in this instance. Sometimes these issues take much longer to resolve.

Glad you got your ranking back, and in short order.
  13. No Profile Picture

Today I am once again back down to page #3. I Really don't understand the logic.

The page itself is new (got indexed one week ago), so maybe all along its ranking isn't related to that banner at all?
  15. No Profile Picture

Ah... that piece of info is most important.... 1 week old page.... it appears that Google is finding its place in the serps... so expect to see it fluctuate for the next couple of weeks, then it should settle down and stop dancing about.