Thread: 404 Error

    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0

    404 Error


    Hello all,

    I've recently downloaded a Wordprees plugin to detect and redirect 404 errors but I have noticed over the past 2 days of using the plugin that I consistently keep getting the same 404 error but with different IP addresses clicking on the link: /services/event-security/tel:+441212190102/. It happened 12 times yesterday with l2 different IP addresses! does anyone know why this keeps happening?

    Thanks in advance
    P.s my website is tgfsecurity.co.uk
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by doggax
    Hello all,

    I've recently downloaded a Wordprees plugin to detect and redirect 404 errors but I have noticed over the past 2 days of using the plugin that I consistently keep getting the same 404 error but with different IP addresses clicking on the link: /services/event-security/tel:+441212190102/. It happened 12 times yesterday with l2 different IP addresses! does anyone know why this keeps happening?

    Thanks in advance
    P.s my website is www.tgfsecurity.co.uk
    Screenshot: http://lizzardz.co.uk/404-error.jpg
  4. #3
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,359
    Rep Power
    6107
    There must be an external link to that page as its not within your site. However I did not check your sitemap if you have 1.

    However while I was looking I did spot you have some errors, In your header for example to have a link to Request a Quote. The link does not contain the www so is creating a 301 redirect.
    There are others like that so maybe grab a copy of screaming frog as your site is small the free version will handle it no problem.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Chedders
    There must be an external link to that page as its not within your site. However I did not check your sitemap if you have 1.

    However while I was looking I did spot you have some errors, In your header for example to have a link to Request a Quote. The link does not contain the www so is creating a 301 redirect.
    There are others like that so maybe grab a copy of screaming frog as your site is small the free version will handle it no problem.
    I have checked the "Request a Quote" link and yes you are right about it not having www in front of it however when I click the link, it works fine and goes through to the contact page but I have added the www now just to be on the safe side. I've downloaded screaming frog but can't make much sense of it, what other links did you find that aren't working correctly?
    Thanks
    James
  8. #5
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,359
    Rep Power
    6107
    Look under the response Codes tab and filter by Redirection (3xx)
    That will give you a list of address's that are wrong.
    If you click on a Address and at the bottom look for Inlinks tab and that will show you which pages that link is on.

    Hope that helps.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank you I have worked it out now
    But still have no idea why I keep getting 404 errors for /services/event-security/tel:+441212190102/
  12. #7
  13. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,359
    Rep Power
    6107
    You may never find out why people are visiting pages that dont exist. The link does not appear to be in googles index, its possible its a old page on your site but could also be a bot testing for a weakness.
    You can spend hours trying to track it down and fail.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Chedders
    You may never find out why people are visiting pages that dont exist. The link does not appear to be in googles index, its possible its a old page on your site but could also be a bot testing for a weakness.
    You can spend hours trying to track it down and fail.
    Thanks Chedders, I will keep an eye on it over the next couple of days and if it carries on I might think about changing the plugin because everytime I get a 404 error log, it sends me an email and it happened 12 times yesterday
    I have fixed most of the errors you said to look for on screaming frog but there is 3 left that I can't figure out:
    1. at the bottom of the page I have social media links and the when you click Linkedin, it gives a 900 request denied because you need to login to Linkedin to view the page
    and the other 2 I really don't understand, please see: www.lizzardz.co.uk/errors.jpg

    Do you have any ideas how I can fix these 3 problems?

    Thanks
    James
  16. #9
  17. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,359
    Rep Power
    6107


    that links to

    http://www.tgfsecurity.co.uk/24-hour-security-services/

    but then gets 301 redirected to

    http://www.tgfsecurity.co.uk/news/24-hour-security-services/
    Last edited by dzine; Apr 22nd, 2017 at 04:54 AM.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    727
    Rep Power
    1870
    Originally Posted by chedders
    You may never find out why people are visiting pages that dont exist. The link does not appear to be in googles index, its possible its a old page on your site but could also be a bot testing for a weakness.
    Chedders you are spot on with that part about testing for a weakness.... I also checked the other ip addresses listed in the OP's screen shot.... they are all sites probing for a weakness.

    Edited to add...
    This is a good lesson to know why it is important to keep WP and it's plugins up-to-date !!

    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Apr 21st, 2017 at 06:02 PM.
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the info KnowOneSpecial, I will keep everything up to date and keep an eye on the logs. Thanks James
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Chedders


    (...)
    Thanks Chedders, I have now fixed all the 301 redirects
    Any idea what I should do about the 999 request denied for the Linkedin link at the bottom of the page or do you think it will be ok to leave it like that?
    Thanks
    James
    Last edited by dzine; Apr 22nd, 2017 at 04:53 AM. Reason: links snipped from quote
  24. #13
  25. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,359
    Rep Power
    6107
    That is because the API used blocks some browsers, on the default setting I believe screaming frog would be blocked. Its not something to worry about so you can ignore that message.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Chedders
    That is because the API used blocks some browsers, on the default setting I believe screaming frog would be blocked. Its not something to worry about so you can ignore that message.
    Thanks Chedder
    If theres anything else you can think of that needs sorting out on my website please let me know. I have been building backlinks since November last year but my website still isn't ranking so i'm trying to fix any problems that might be stopping it from ranking. Hopefully soon it should start ranking for my keywords.

Similar Threads

  1. 404 Error
    By Abhinav Adithya in forum New User SEO Questions and Answers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 13th, 2016, 09:39 AM
  2. Blank Pages in Admin? HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error)
    By kayeones in forum Analytics Analysis
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr 29th, 2012, 09:49 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Dec 6th, 2011, 07:10 AM
  4. 403 Error!
    By seogorky in forum SEO Help (General Chat)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Nov 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
  5. 301,302 error
    By deepak soni in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct 18th, 2010, 04:59 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo