1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

301 Redirect & Migration Procedure Question

I recently asked a question about my websites. I have 3 sites total: 1 money (brand) site, and 2 microsites.

The 2 microsites have no backlinks but are ranked decently for keywords because they both have a ton of content. Each probably has over 35,000 words worth of targeted/related content. I asked a question about backlinking strategy on another thread, and all of the SEO gurus suggested that I move the content to my brand page and use a 301 redirect for my microsites.

My question is how do I migrate the content to my brand site without getting penalized by google for duplicative content. Also, is there a website or some source I can use to follow the proper steps to avoid any google penalties?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The content can be just moved to the money site and deleted from the micro sites. The content will then not be in 2 places at once so no duplication exists.
    If there are no links to the micro at all then there is no need to 301 them, the 301 redirect was suggested to pass page rank (link juice) to the main site. If there is none then nothing will be gained by redirecting it.
    But are you sure no links are out there at all ? try searching for the site in speech marks "mydomain.com" and see if anything is shown.
  5. No Profile Picture

There are links out there. I can tell from my google analytics which pages are getting impressions/clicks. Thus, I know most of the pages that are indexed. Will a 301 redirect on the primary domain redirect users who access the other pages?

I didn't think it would do that. Am I best served using a plugin to redirect all of the pages on the site to my money site? I am ranking on the first page of google search results for a few pages that are not my primary domain: i.e., the page that would be ranking high is: www.dwilawyer.com/ask-a-lawyer I can put a redirect on that page, but I have about 40 other pages that are indexed too. Do I need to add a redirect to all of them?
  7. No Profile Picture

I'm sorry. I must've misunderstood you. Were you asking whether there were any backlinks to the microsites?
  9. No Profile Picture

I am interested in the answer to your question about your need to only do a 301 redirect on the primary domain/URL or the need to redirect all of the URL's from your micro sites. I am not an SEO guy but a business owner with a similar situation. We are in the process of doing the exact same thing to our money site and other smaller sites we own that have decent rankings. We're not sure if we need to redirect all of the URL's from each micro site or by simply redirecting the primary domain does this take care of all of the other URL's associated with that domain/website?
  11. Dinosaur

OK will try and explain a bit more

Your main site (Site A) has also 2 micro sites (site B and site C)

if you have external links to site B or site C then you should place a 301 redirect from these sites to site A

The best way of doing it is page by page so site B page 123 will 301 redirect to site A page 123
    this is the page you moved from site B to site A even if the new site structure is different. Any page rank that page had is then transferred to the same page on site A preserving any link juice (or most of it)

If there are far too many pages to do it page by page then yes you can do just a site wide redirect to the home page of site A but the prefered method is page by page.

The benefits is once completed the page rank then flows around your main money site via its natural structure and the whole site will benefit by the boost.

The issue with micro sites is as the page rank builds and you place a link on it to your main money site only a % of the juice will be passed.
    If I use the now unpublished page rank example lets say a page has a page rank of 2 but on the page it has 12 links, some to other pages and 1 to your money site. The money site will receive page rank 2 / 12 which is 0.16... of page rank however if you 301 that page to a page on the money site it will receive the page rank of 2.

OK I am rounding things here a little and a small % is lost when using 301 redirects but hopefully its enough to explain why having the content on a micro site v the content on your money site is not the best route forward.

Hope that explains what I was trying to say above.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Thank you!
  13. Dinosaur

Just to clarify incase you read between the lines doing a 301 redirect of 2 pages with a page rank of lets say 2 to the same page does not double the target page rank to 4. it is a logarithmic scale so just for illustration purposes

page rank of 1 is a score of 1 - 1000
    page rank of 2 is a score of 1001 - 10,000
    page tank of 3 is a score of 10,001, 50,000
    page rank of 4 is a score of 50,001 - 250,000 etc

Numbers totally made up but just demonstrating the point.