1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

2 website migration - a suicide mission?

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to migrate 2 websites into one and don't lose the SEO power of both of them.

I have 2 websites:
    1. A forum (let's say forum.com)
    2. A Wordpress (WP) article website (let's say article.com)

I don't know which one is stronger in terms of SEO since the WP website has a higher PR (by one point) than the forum website, but the forum is much more active and has daily new content (about 600-800 posts/day while the WP website has 1 article a month).

These two websites have completely different domains. I feel like I'm losing SEO power with the separation, so I would like to move the WP website to the front of the forum. The main page of the forum would be the article website, and I would change the forum to be an internal route directory.

In other words I would like o kill the domain article.com (with 301 redirects of course) and have only the forum.com.
    People who will enter forum.com, would get to article.com. The forum itself would be at forum.com/community or something like (a direct link would be provided from the main page).

My question is if this is a smart move? would you do it differently?

Thanks.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

hey - I think it is a smart move. The link equity of the article site will pass to the forum site, making it stronger...the key thing is to keep as much as you can about the articles the same throughout the tranistion and do one - to -one 301 redirects... volatility in rankings is normal for the first month after transition...

Overall, you always take a gamble when you combine sites but it can be done in a way to preserve equity and maintain your rankings...

I guess, it is not a suicide mission but definitely something that should be taken with incredible care...

My question to you: how much traffic and how many pages are you considering redirecting over?
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by whiterabbit
    hey - I think it is a smart move. The link equity of the article site will pass to the forum site, making it stronger...the key thing is to keep as much as you can about the articles the same throughout the tranistion and do one - to -one 301 redirects... volatility in rankings is normal for the first month after transition...

Overall, you always take a gamble when you combine sites but it can be done in a way to preserve equity and maintain your rankings...

I guess, it is not a suicide mission but definitely something that should be taken with incredible care...

My question to you: how much traffic and how many pages are you considering redirecting over?
    The forum has about 3500-4000 uniques/day
    The portal has about 1700-2000 uniques/day

There are about 150 articles + hundreds of keywords inside articles.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Oh! quick reply....
    That is a really small presence, I [personally] think you can definitely come through the otherside redirecting that just fine...
    yeah, the big thing is redirecting the content (the metas, the content, the internal linking) exactly as it exists on the existing separate presence
    Usually, people get trapped up because the internal linking from the prior templates is not redirected exactly....
    If you're still really concerned, consider getting your redirection plan implemented on a staging environment , keeping templates similar as possible to the old site of course, and get a second pair of eyes to go over the redirect etc, if you're still not 100% sure...

hope that helps some ..
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The forum has about 3500-4000 uniques/day
    The portal has about 1700-2000 uniques/day
    is that visitors or pages?

I would think keeping the forum as is www.forum.com and add a sub page for the blog www.forum/blog.com it's install WP, copy the files over, then 301 to the new subpage. ,, you'll only be changing the url and maybe some menu links for internal navigation.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Jul 28th, 2014 at 12:26 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture

These are visitors. Pages in the portal are around 200-250. But there are many internal keywords. Some articles are 50K words wiki-style.