1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

1500 products Disco'd. What to do?

eCom site - Normally I'd leave the pages up on discontinued products, while offering alternate products in its place, but we've just found that over 1500 of our products are being disco'd and I don't know what to do with this large number. We have 10,000 products total so I'd prefer this 15% not continue to clutter our system, so if anyone has any experience with this volume of disco's, please stand up. Keep them, mass-302 them, etc. Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It requires a fair bit of analysis to be honest.
    You need to identify is any pages have any external links, if the answer is yes then either keep them as you have or 301 them to maybe the category page. You said 302 but I would only use that if your planning on relisting these products, if not then 301.
    Any pages you find without any external links then simply allow them to 404 or better still 410 them
    The problem with 404 is that google will keep coming back to check if the page has not come back. As you will have a limit crawl budget you don't want google wasting its time crawling pages that are no longer there, a 410 google will remove from the index.

It goes without saying that none of these pages should have any internal links remaining, that's a bad user experience and will also give google a reason to keep visiting these pages.
    IMHO
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

AHH 410's, thank you so much. Internal linking is minimal, external is not hard to manage. There's not to much collateral damage possible here. You rock!